User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OldChapXS
(newbie) Mon 01-Apr-13 18:02:05
Print Post

How would YOU fix this?

[link to this post]

Given that a large number of folks are struggling to use VM's services in the way they expected to (probably as a result of the advertising), Lets take a positive approach and look for remedies to the situation.

This may take the form of truthful advertising or it may be related to infrastructure or a hardware/software fix which enforces caps on speed or possibly we go back to the dark ages and pay for each GB of download?

What do YOU think is the way forward?

My view

Unlike in some northern European countries, at sometime in the past it was decided that Fiber to the house was and would remain unnecessary.
The time is fast approaching when this is no longer true so the upgrade of infrastructure must now take a more expensive route of replacing a lot more of the hardware than might have been the case.

Selling new connections should be related to availability of bandwidth, not whether or not there is a cabinet nearby.

Selling should state not just the headline speed but the average speed from said cabinet

Service should include a minimum set of statistics below which the user has automatic right to either cancel a contract or seek assistance in resolving the problem and that within a given time.

If a connection has an expected use amount related to the contention figures used to calculate how many must share a given bandwidth let the customer know what that is then he can choose to limit himself at that point.

So, just a bunch of thoughts, kept somewhat simplistic, to start this off
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Apr-13 10:38:52
Print Post

Re: How would YOU fix this?

[re: OldChapXS] [link to this post]

Super fast fibre is not necessary if all were given the ability to have a constant 20mbps (for example). The more people are given then the more they will take.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Apr-13 16:28:12
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Now I have 4G I have disconnected from Vermin Medium after getting a letter saying as I had done 1.6TB over 3 months I was to be traffic managed

They offered me a free get out so I got out.

Now I am sure the letter will be of interest to some people - maybe TBB?

Unlimited 4G coming to 3 in september. yeah man! - 42mbps down 22 up from EE right now smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Fri 05-Apr-13 17:27:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Apr-13 16:32:48
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I'd be interested because, as I understood it, they stopped sending letters threatening disconnection etc. in order to retain their right to continue to advertise their service as "unlimited".

IMO what they should do is stop advertising "unlimited" and simply terminate the contracts of anybody abusing the service after the first warning. That way maybe there would be a lot fewer congested areas.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Apr-13 16:56:51
Print Post

If you can scan it and email it to andrew@thinkbroadband.com

No need to hind any personal information, I will make sure that this is removed before publishing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Apr-13 17:10:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If you do publish please post a link in this thread.

I suspect it may just be the advisory letter which they do still send out but I wasn't aware that it contained any threats or offered a get out of jail free on contract termination.
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Apr-13 17:13:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you can scan it and email it to andrew@thinkbroadband.com

No need to hind any personal information, I will make sure that this is removed before publishing.

I will do that for you now.
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Apr-13 17:14:00
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Their website under the 100mbps still shows this

"Unlimited downloads no caps no hidden charges "

LIES!
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Apr-13 17:20:45
Print Post

I have just sent it to you
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Apr-13 20:50:13
Print Post

Not entirely - they don't charge per GB (BT do on their capped sevices) or cap the download volume although naturally limiting the download speed has that effect if you expect to be able to download 24x7 at full speed.

In practice most normal users can download as much as they want with VM so long as they avoid the shaped protocols or take steps to avoid the shaping - apparently for NNTP just using encryption is enough. Simplest by far is to use HTTP or FTP which only has the STM to contend with and as we've discussed before that certainly only used to operate for both of us during the published evening period. I'm not sure if that remains the case with the new regime as I've been away from home since it was announced until yesterday afternoon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to