User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User leexgx
(member) Sun 07-Apr-13 13:57:54
Print Post

speed seems limited to 85mb/s on 120mb

[link to this post]

can the VMNG300 V2 50mb modem do more then 85mb/s (its Flat lining at 85mb/s or around 8.47% on the network card), the modem should support up to 200mb

i just got the 120mb/10mb auto upgrade from 100mb/5mb (i had to reboot my modem as it got stuck with no internet)

i do some other tests (like plugging it directly into my pc my, the linksys e3200 should be able to handle 400mb of traffic) when i get back in as got some work to do

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-13 15:30:52
Print Post

Re: speed seems limited to 85mb/s on 120mb

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Check that your ethernet connection is actually running at a gigabit. A broken wire or a 4 wire only cable will see you running at 100Mbps ethernet and that may explain why you are only seeing 85Mbps.

I'm not sure that the VMNG300 firmware can handle bonded upstreams which you should have if you've had the 120/10 upgrade. SFAIK it only handles 4 downstreams too which may be another issue although I thought it was supposed to be OK for 100.
Standard User leexgx
(member) Sun 07-Apr-13 15:42:37
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

it is running at 1gb, I not done much testing apart from looking at the status and resetting the modem and router, as I had jobs to do

Edited by leexgx (Sun 07-Apr-13 17:48:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Apr-13 19:52:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by leexgx:
it is running at 1gb, I not done much testing apart from looking at the status and resetting the modem and router, as I had jobs to do

I was going to say I'd be shocked if someone who runs a computer company didn't know you had to have a 1gbps link for more than 100mbps
Standard User leexgx
(member) Sun 07-Apr-13 20:07:58
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

still even if it was 100mb would've been closer to 100mb on the speed tests, they all are consistent at 84mb/s, i be back soon so i can faf with it (i am guessing its going to be the modem that can't keep up, even though it should be able to do 200mb/s down)

Standard User alexatkin
(learned) Sun 07-Apr-13 21:59:01
Print Post

I never trust specs as my friend had the old Motorola modem that only had a 10-BASE-T ethernet port on it but claimed to support cable speeds far greater than that. I believe the reason is they are talking actual actual DOCSIS compatibility with the network, not the speed they can deliver to the end user.

Then there are routers, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem either as I am yet to find any manufacturer actually tell you what the routing speed is of each model. I resorted to building an Atom router purely for that reason, I was fed up of not being able to trust the router wasn't bottlenecking the connection.
Standard User leexgx
(member) Mon 08-Apr-13 04:13:58
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

hmm it is perfectly fine directly plugged in (not cable issue)

seems to be the linksys E3200 router but tests have shown it can do at least 500mbs, but seems it only wants to do 88.43mbs flat or 9.20-9.30% network utilization (but that is total but should be around 12-13%) or 11.6MB/s on my network card (should be around 15MB/s),

i got this router so it could handle my connection for later on guess i could sell it and get the e4200 as its Twice the spec of the E4200 but only £30 more if i sell my E3200
--------------------------------------------------------
ok i just disabled CTF the only setting i did not change on the router, what a Stupid setting, its the Default as well..... (the only setting that actually rebooted the router by it self, yes i did reboot the router other times)
CTF from help and wiki
The CTF (Cut-Through Forwarding) option improves the efficiency of packet forwarding between the local network and the Internet. To use the CTF option, keep the default, Enabled.

Edited by leexgx (Mon 08-Apr-13 04:14:50)

Standard User teabelly
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Apr-13 14:02:01
Print Post

If you don't already have the superhub then VM will send you one for free.

Wireless can be turned off altogether as it is often troublesome.

I'd test it with simultaneous downloads as the speed test sites aren't always reliable.

Youth and vigour are no substitute for age and treachery... smile

teabelly
Standard User leexgx
(member) Wed 10-Apr-13 15:26:51
Print Post

[re: teabelly] [link to this post]

it was the linksys e3200 router that was limiting download speed to 85mb/s, turning off CTF on the admin page fixed the issue got my full download speed again

my 50mb v2 modem has done me good for now (it could do 200mb but i ask VM to replace it before that happens as i may start affect other users as my modem only has 4 downstream channels)

Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Apr-13 08:23:45
Print Post

For what it's worth, I too have found that my speed over Ethernet is better when I have wireless disabled on the Hub. When a VM techie came to investigate my phone line, he noticed that the lights on the Hub were not showing a wireless connection. He asked if I'd reported the 'fault'.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to