User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 15-Apr-13 18:43:09
Print Post

Double speed down, what about up ?

[link to this post]

So VM changed my meagre 10Mb connection to 20Mb then 30Mb last year, the up speed went from 1Mb to 2Mb. I was told at the time we would get 3Mb once everything was in place at the hub, but it's been 8 months now.

Do I need to call them or it this (still) standard ?

I ask as I need to upload a few large files each week and they seem to take ages right now.

Thanks
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)

Edited by TMCR (Mon 15-Apr-13 18:44:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Apr-13 19:08:27
Print Post

Re: Double speed down, what about up ?

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

The speed upgrades are still happening with the download improvements usually well ahead of the upload improvements.

Think programme is meant to complete this summer

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Apr-13 19:20:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

SFAIK there are no promises when upload increases to 10% will complete or even if they will happen at all on all tiers. They've said the 100 to 120 upgrades will be "later this year" and I think they did promise an eventual 10 or 12 upload on that tier.

IMO the original doubling promise was a kneejerk to BT doubling Infinity. Certainly it has seen plenty of slippage in most areas with my own only just declared complete. I thought bonded upstreams would be part of the doubling but I still only have a single upstream channel (and pretty massive jitter) despite the area upgrades being declared complete.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 15-Apr-13 20:04:19
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

We seem to have 5 channel down and 2 up here (DN4) and I should be grateful we were one of the first areas to be changed, even if I did have to phone (twice) and get them to do it manually.

The actual service isn't too bad here, speed tests are constant - apart from frequent buffering. Can't watch iPlayer or YouTube very long before it freezes and that spinning circle that David Tennant said they were getting rid off appears. frown

Downloads are also affected, you see the speed climb, then it suddenly drops and is slow to pick up again. Streaming radio just buffers without warning too.

Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Apr-13 09:37:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:
we were one of the first areas to be changed, even if I did have to phone (twice) and get them to do it manually.

New customers got the doubled speed packages from day 1 regardless of whether the area was declared upgraded or not. Anybody could call through retentions and complain about that and more than likely get doubled themselves although it may have resulted in a new minimum contract term. VM were gambling that most wouldn't do that.

Well before doubling was announced my area had suffered congestion so I downgraded from 50 to 10 as that was often all it could deliver and Infinity was on the horizon. By the time Infinity arrived (some months later) the congestion looked a lot better and my Infinity install was a no-show so I called retentions to cancel my cancellation and see what they could offer. I went from 10 to 60 for an extra £2.50 a month + a year contract.

This all goes to show what a farce the doubling exercise became and what happens with marketing lead BS exercises.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Wed 17-Apr-13 00:38:23
Print Post

I note in the news article that there are now 2 different 30mb services, labelled L30 and XL30, with XL30 getting the 3Mb upload speed.

The VM sites seems to be unavailable, I was going to look and see what the price difference was, not that I need to change.

I only 'complained' after the date we should have been doubled. Seems that a loyalty deal on the account stopped it going through automatically.

Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Apr-13 10:01:33
Print Post

You could get 30Mbps before the doubling - if you had 20 and paid for a Superhub or just got it as a new customer. That will be doubled to 60Mbps. If you had 10 or lower that will be boosted to 30 if you have a Superhub or 20 if that's all your modem will support.

I'm guessing XL30 is the first of those and L30 is the doubled (ok tripled) 10 which is currently the lowest tier you can get as a new customer and will not be doubled unless you pay for an upgrade to 60 or 100/120.
Standard User leexgx
(member) Fri 19-Apr-13 00:34:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
IMO the original doubling promise was a kneejerk to BT doubling Infinity. Certainly it has seen plenty of slippage in most areas with my own only just declared complete. I thought bonded upstreams would be part of the doubling but I still only have a single upstream channel (and pretty massive jitter) despite the area upgrades being declared complete.

once you get the dual channel upgrade the jitter should mostly go away then shortly later on the speed profiles should change as well

Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 22-Apr-13 00:09:57
Print Post

I've had it explained that L30 is customers moving up from 10 or 20. XL30 is existing 30Mb customers who will be moved up to 60, eventually.

L30 are stuck at 2Mb upload for the time being, but no real explanation why apart from its part of the overall plan and they'll get round it it, perhaps ?

I have the superhub, as supplied by Virgin as my old modem wasn't able to do 30Mbs. I was a 10Mb customer. 30Mb down is fine, I don't need any more than that, but 2Mb up isn't so good when you are working on large files that have to be sent to someone else.

Virgin Cable (L30)
Standard User leexgx
(member) Tue 23-Apr-13 05:36:26
Print Post

upload speed is the only reason i am on the now upgraded 120mb product (got 12mb upgrade at the moment)

as FTTC is not here yet even if it was the download/upload speed is more Pot luck on that side (depends where the cab is) 20mb upload would be nice

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to