User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mank
(newbie) Tue 23-Apr-13 12:57:18
Print Post

How are speeds in Wimbledon village?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm moving house and trying to decide on my broadband connection. I am told the previous tenants in the place we are moving to had Virgin Media so I assume the connection will be relatively painless. I'm tempted by the 30MB or 60MB offering which works out quite competitive with no phone line.

We move in this coming weekend, and the place we'll be moving to is on the high street in Wimbledon Village, and after a quick search for reported problems, it seems as though some people in Wimbledon do suffer from very low speeds at peak times due to congestion. I'd like to know if other users in the area have any problems or not. All feedback is incredibly appreciated.

My main reasons for wanting to go with Virgin Media is that it means if I decide I want some form of TV package with the Sky channels, I can upgrade in the future. The speeds are better than regular ADSL (provided you get the advertised speeds). And also I'm hoping since we move in very soon, the activation times are faster than waiting for a FTTC activation. If I ordered the broadband today, what sort of time frame could I expect it to be activated in?

Many thanks
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:17:18
Print Post

Re: How are speeds in Wimbledon village?

[re: Mank] [link to this post]

Have a look at both the community forums and www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12 before you make the jump.

London is congested anyway and the new traffic management is brutal.

If you can get FTTC sky would be a better option and you can add TV a later date.

Just some advice.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Apr-13 16:16:33
Print Post

There are a lot of different areas in London, with completely different network architectures so it's really completely a case of try it and see how you go. Congestion levels can vary between individual streets let alone across a city.

if it's bad you do have a guarantee and can get money back.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Apr-13 14:07:17
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Also a friend of mine who lives in Islington had 2 failed installs as they never showed.

I know it's not the case for everyone and as Ignition says you do have a 28 day guarantee which I have used plenty of times myself so I know they honor it.

You won't pay anything for the install/setup I don't think so nothing to lose if that happens. SO give it a go and then within a few weeks you'll know what's what.
Standard User Mank
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 11:18:13
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Thanks. I did not know about the 28 day guarantee. This means I can at least see how it is, and do a full cancel if I have problems. I sometimes work from home, remote in to my work PC, and need a pretty jitter free connection to prevent frustration.

I think I will go for this, and probably regret it wink
but at least I can order FTTC and cancel VM if it is not good enough.
Standard User driz
(regular) Wed 01-May-13 10:42:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mank:
Thanks. I did not know about the 28 day guarantee. This means I can at least see how it is, and do a full cancel if I have problems.

I'm around Roehampton, not too far from Wimbledon village, and did this exact thing a couple of years ago. VM were actually very good in terms of getting the appointment booked in and the service installed quickly, but jitter was horrible.

Ended up going with ADSL and am now on FTTC. There was a bit of lead time between ordering a BT line + ADSL and the OpenReach appointment so it was nice to have a 'proper' internet connection in the mean time.

VM didn't really question the reason why I cancelled, it was very straightforward. A guy came to my workplace to pick up the Superhub, even!
  Print Thread

Jump to