User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Jun-13 18:59:26
Print Post

New STM limits etc just posted

[link to this post]

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic...

Just for reference
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-13 08:59:48
Print Post

Re: New STM limits etc just posted

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

effectively if you download at 100% of your specified speed for 10 minutes you are then capped for 5 hours during the day or 12 hours during the weekend

KRO BCFC smile

BQM
Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Wed 26-Jun-13 09:06:23
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Welcome to Virgin unlimited downloads smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bartman1967
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-13 11:27:37
Print Post

YOU should not be limited in anyway in today's world, while others are going totally unlimited VM are still doing it, don't they want the business?

If they upgraded their network like all the other ISP's then maybe they would be competitive, as they still stand, they are just a low end provider with a low end service.

Thats what happens when you let the yanks rule the nest !!

FTTD for the win?

Edited by Bartman1967 (Wed 26-Jun-13 11:28:18)

(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:29:58
Print Post

[re: Bartman1967] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bartman1967:
Thats what happens when you let the yanks rule the nest !!

Not only do the yanks do better speeds they also have a better service - very few complaints about FIOS!

VM have been this was years before the yanks bought them.
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:32:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
effectively if you download at 100% of your specified speed for 10 minutes you are then capped for 5 hours during the day or 12 hours during the weekend

It's meant to be 2 hours max some of us have been getting capped at 4-5 hours. I go from 130mbps to 70.5 when I am hit.

As for the 10 mins? you kidding!? lol I just hit STM to see if it had improved in 5 mins 24 seconds!

so now I do all my stuff during the day via remote
Standard User saturn_uranus
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:34:52
Print Post

Re: New STM limits etc just posted *DELETED*

Post deleted by saturn_uranus
Standard User saturn_uranus
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Jun-13 19:36:33
Print Post

No worry for me. The very worst 72Mb capped speed is still a good 10Mb above anything I've seen reliably in 6 months on my 120Mb connection.

Virgin media 120Mb formerly be* Pro
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jun-13 21:56:52
Print Post

Should be noted though that FiOS costs over 60 quid a month for a 75Mb/35Mb service with domestic phone calls.

It's also not available to most of the United States, and huge swathes of the USA have the option of the local cable company or the local phone company and that's about it.

40 quid a month for 24Mb with a 250GB/month limit anyone?

Or the cable company, 80 quid a month for 105Mb down, 20Mb up, 600GB/month cap.

For that price someone in the UK could purchase 2 x FTTC services, including line rental, or an FTTC and a 120Mb VM cable service, load balance them and have a service at 150Mb down, 39Mb up or 200Mb down, 30Mb up.

The USA is definitely not a model for value and superior services.

To get some more idea of what Liberty Global may do longer term check their UPC cable brand.
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Jun-13 23:11:48
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Should be noted though that FiOS costs over 60 quid a month for a 75Mb/35Mb service with domestic phone calls.

It's also not available to most of the United States, and huge swathes of the USA have the option of the local cable company or the local phone company and that's about it.

40 quid a month for 24Mb with a 250GB/month limit anyone?

Or the cable company, 80 quid a month for 105Mb down, 20Mb up, 600GB/month cap.

For that price someone in the UK could purchase 2 x FTTC services, including line rental, or an FTTC and a 120Mb VM cable service, load balance them and have a service at 150Mb down, 39Mb up or 200Mb down, 30Mb up.

The USA is definitely not a model for value and superior services.

To get some more idea of what Liberty Global may do longer term check their UPC cable brand.

I'd pay for 2 VM connections if I could and somehow bond them together?

I looked at UPC they do 50/5 100/10 and then 150/10? frown

Interesting that before Feb 2013 the monthly limit was 500GB now it says this (and it's a much better system than STM?_

From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances.

"Excessive use" of the Service means usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance. If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:

Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or

Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or

Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

Terminate your account for non-compliance with the provisions of this User Policy in accordance with the provisions of UPC‟s General Terms and Conditions.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 27-Jun-13 23:14:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to