User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andylong42
(regular) Wed 17-Jul-13 11:24:01
Print Post

New Superhub 2 - existing customer

[link to this post]

Hi,

I understand VM have finally got round to replacing the awful Superhub. I've had a look on the website, but cannot see an option to upgrade. I have read elsewhere that there is a £50 "installation" charge for the new router. Has anyone managed to get one free from VM? I am not paying someone £50 to install a router that I am more than capable of doing myself. Does that the fact the coverage from my existing Superhub is appalling (I have a cheap TPLink AP next to it which covers the house no problem) entitle me to a replacement hub?

Many thanks

Andy
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:05:31
Print Post

Re: New Superhub 2 - existing customer

[re: andylong42] [link to this post]

I think they would just offer a free standard superhub replacement otherwise everybody would be having these mystery faults
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:09:43
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
mystery faults

What mystery faults do you mean? The inability to work from inside a microwave oven maybe?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andylong42
(regular) Wed 17-Jul-13 12:27:19
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I would not class not being able to cover a standard 3 bed semi with a useable signal as a mystery fault, especially as a £20 AP quite happily does this job. If I was unable to receive half the TV channels on their TV service and a new box was brought out to that fixed the problem then I would expect a replacement. We pay a premium for the 120Mb service so dont think I'm asking too much. Also, the £50 is for installation, not for the box so why cant we do a self install?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jul-13 16:57:15
Print Post

Some people have got one for the cost of Postage ( About £6 I think)
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 20:32:42
Print Post

I'm not sure if you realise that this is a threaded forum and I didn't suggest there was any mystery fault so you should have replied to the poster who did. I was just making a tongue in cheek suggestion how some Superhub 1s may develop mystery faults in an attempt by their users to get a SH2.

The simple answer to fixing the poor wireless range of the SH1 is to use your own router. The SH2 may have better wireless but it's still a pretty third rate router from what I've heard about it.
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jul-13 21:05:37
Print Post

AHEM smile

Some of us prefer flat view not threaded

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.7.5 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-13 21:18:38
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

I view it flat too and was unsure who the other poster was addressing - their reply to was both under my post and a reply to my post but was about something I hadn't suggested which is confusing to both flat and threaded viewers imo.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Wed 17-Jul-13 21:21:53)

Standard User Suspishio
(newbie) Sun 04-Aug-13 17:05:31
Print Post

In reply to Kwikkie's point about the SH2 being a "pretty third rate router" - he's heard right. I've been trialling it since April with firmware progressions and I am now on V26.

It is currently (V19 public release) more reliable in the UBR world and has some instability in the BSR world. It uses the same chip family as the VMNG300 and on the V19 firmware ran straight into the VMNG300 TEK event problem with BSRs. The current candidate release, V26, appears to fix this from what I can see on the trials forum.

Wireless range is good. My SH2 has behaved flawlessly win router mode since late April when I received the first firmware upgrade.

But this £15 device is devoid of router features (thankfully because features consume resources) and people who want to do anything other than noddy should be in modem mode with their own router attached.

Suspishio

VM 120/12
BT Infinity 80/20 (running @ 48 meg)

My advice is at your risk.

Edited by Suspishio (Sun 04-Aug-13 17:07:14)

Standard User Enemyvirus
(newbie) Thu 08-Aug-13 10:48:22
Print Post

[re: Suspishio] [link to this post]

I am a trialist and have been using the SH2 since April and I agree with Suspishio's comments. SH2 is an big improvement over the original SH1 wireless wise, dual band and much better coverage. But if you want to do anything beyond basic networking stick with the separate router as there is nothing wrong with the modem part of the SH1
  Print Thread

Jump to