User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User virginuser
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 15:00:21
Print Post

SuperHub - do I need it?

[link to this post]

I'm due to go up to 30meg from 20 next week.

Apparently, I'm getting a SuperHub. Don't know yet whether it's 1 or 2.

Given the bad comments about this, I'm just wondering if I can continue using the existing modem with my Virgin DIR615 router? It's branded 'VirginMedia' but I can't see any other details.

Thanks.

virginuser
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Aug-13 18:22:04
Print Post

Re: SuperHub - do I need it?

[re: virginuser] [link to this post]

The router is fine for 30Mbps. The existing modem may not be although as you are on 20Mbps the chances are it would work so long as VM still support it by providing a 30Mbps config for it. Try the SH and if dissatisfied put it in modem mode and use your DIR615. Many would say do that anyhow but I see no reason not to try the SH as a hub initially. As it happens mine is in modem mode because I wanted some features neither SH model supports.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Fri 16-Aug-13 18:25:18)

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 16-Aug-13 18:42:24
Print Post

[re: virginuser] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by virginuser:
I'm due to go up to 30meg from 20 next week.

Apparently, I'm getting a SuperHub. Don't know yet whether it's 1 or 2.

Given the bad comments about this, I'm just wondering if I can continue using the existing modem with my Virgin DIR615 router? It's branded 'VirginMedia' but I can't see any other details.

Thanks.

virginuser

you need the superdud VM dont support single modems past 20meg any more except legacy 50meg customers but even they get a superhub after the double speed upgrade, 30Mb and above requires docsis 3.0 and the old modems used on 20 and below only support upto 2.0, This was the old docsis 3 modem if you have this they may allow you to keep it but dont count on it if you have one of the older ones likes this or any of these then its a 100% no to keeping it and will defo get the superdud

Ash

Sky Unlimited - Speed to Be seen when fully activated

Edited by acpsd775 (Fri 16-Aug-13 18:42:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User virginuser
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 18:55:51
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Thanks, my modem is very much like one of those listed, so I will use the SH, well I won't have any choice.

Any problems, I can then use the existing router if needed and the use the SH in modem mode only.

vu
  Print Thread

Jump to