User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User foxuk
(learned) Tue 20-Aug-13 10:22:33
Print Post

Virgin Price hike

[link to this post]

Just got this from the dahlins at Virgin - isn't technology supposed to go down in price?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The price of your broadband is going up.
But you're still getting great value from your broadband service.

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

We wanted to let you know that, from 1st October 2013, the price of your Virgin Media broadband is going up by £2.50 a month. It's never nice when prices increase so we wanted to reassure you that you're still getting a great broadband service.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought if on a petrol head forum I started going on that my car wouldn't do 120mph or 50 miles per gallon would people start accusing me of doing illegal stuff?

Just a thought for the 'just interested in what you could be doing LEGALLY' mob.

Jon

P.S. It's tongue in cheek and good humoured reparte, just in case we are being observed by Cameron's 'TROLL POLICE' as well.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Aug-13 10:55:19
Print Post

Re: Virgin Price hike

[re: foxuk] [link to this post]

People are using their broadband a ton more than they used to and prices were steady for ages while speeds went up, so this all makes sense to be honest.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Aug-13 10:57:21
Print Post

I reckon they'll be losing customers to FTTC at an even higher rate. The increase puts them neck and neck for me and with cashback available on most FTTC signups the first year will certainly be cheaper.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Aug-13 10:58:20
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Its the price of the bundle really you need to look at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5999-more-informa...

Interesting comparison at the end of that item with basic 10GB BT service changing in price, but offset by line rental increases.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Aug-13 11:01:26
Print Post

Mine went up in February this year by £1.75 This extra £2.50 makes it a 17% increase over the £25 it was in January.
Standard User foxuk
(learned) Tue 20-Aug-13 11:19:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
People are using their broadband a ton more than they used to and prices were steady for ages while speeds went up, so this all makes sense to be honest.

Just under 10% increase when inflation is running way lower.... On that logic our i7 would cost about £4 billion as it does so much more than a ZX81....... weird!

We're stuck with them and on the basic 30mb deal - no phone or television - that's from 100mb, basic tv and phone package just over a year ago.

Truthfully IF BT hadn't quoted over 6 months of the Virgin charge for juat installing a line that already exists, we'd have gone already.

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't spent about an hour negotiating with retentions only to be billed the same as before and the a** h*** who dealt with the complaint decided that all that could have been offered was 'LIST PRICE'.

Yes I hate the D**b F***s but Virgin are still the best deal amongst a bunch of crooks who wouldn't be allowed to sell double glazing - ISPs that is.

It's a lot easier to work through a server in Holland, for stuff, with a slow connection at home (just for vonage, connection and downloads).

£26 a month for 30mb..... what have the Yanks been smokin'...... and if they follow the business patterns of USAISPs they'll increase at a price until the customer base stabilises without new infrastructure and milk the profits..... used to be called asset stripping when I were a lad.

Jon
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Aug-13 11:26:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by foxuk:
Truthfully IF BT hadn't quoted over 6 months of the Virgin charge for juat installing a line that already exists, we'd have gone already.

The last time looked at Infinity they were still offering a free line install. I actually ordered it June last year and they installed the phone line but the Infinity install was a no-show. They then gave a date 3 weeks later which was past my VM termination so I called BT and cancelled and then VM and got 60Mbps @ £25 which they increased to £26.75 in February.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 20-Aug-13 11:46:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

andrew it gets even worse when you compare phone laugh VM imo are not competitive on calls.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Aug-13 11:49:18
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Which is odd as its their own local loop so none of the regulatory problems or costs of BT.

Seem to remember an old advert 'always cheaper than BT' which I always took to mean, they put their price up and we will follow suit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User foxuk
(learned) Tue 20-Aug-13 11:56:29
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

so I called BT and cancelled

Ours was a bit weirder - 'there has never been a pnone line at our address' was the BT statement - even though the BT line was there running from the pole to the dormer and had been cancelled a couple of years earlier..... by me.

I tried a couple of the free installation deals but as soon as they check there are 'problems', so we're stuck with Virgin.

I was offered £28 to keep the 100mb without anything else by retentions but as they didn't implement it and then the a**h*** wanted full price ..... 30mb does it. Weirdly it works a LOT better than the 100mb.... no cut outs and everything runs as it should. the 'before 11a.m. has changed to before 4p.m. so that's a plus.

We've cut our outgoings by about 70% to 80% (heavy USA calls!!!!!! [censored] kids don't know how to dial their mother!!!) by juggling services and usage over the past two years. Virgin's 'International Deals' sound good but definatelly don't compare.

It's really sad when a company can't see the writing on the wall

Surely any accountant could see that an over £400 bill June 2011 becoming £23.50 can't be made up with a £2.50 price rise? OK herself was ill in 2011 BUT the 'normal' bill was over £200...

Jon
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to