User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dronkula
(learned) Sat 24-Aug-13 16:54:01
Print Post

Virgin Media broadband only prices

[link to this post]

Quick question about these (and ignoring the price change at the start of Oct).

At the moment, how much would someone be paying if they're on a 20mb broadband only package from Virgin Media?

My house is a shared house with 7 people - and VM broadband is included in the rent but the landlord just has the cheapest basic package. It was 10mb until July and has now been doubled to 20Mb but it still makes the connection pretty poor when all 7 of us are in and trying to use it. Most evenings it's pretty much useless.

I was thinking of asking the landlord to increase the speed and offer to pay the difference - but I'd like an idea of what the current price would be and what it will be afterwards before I do that (in case he claims it's only £5 at the moment and will increase to £55 or something like that).

I'll probably wait until November now anyway before I offer - so that he's had at least 1 full month with the £2.50 price rise before I make the offer in case he tries to include that in the amount I pay.

Incidentally, other people I've spoken to have said their 10mb VM connection was 'doubled' to 30mb - but I've checked on the router and it definitely says it's 20mb now. Is there still a further upgrade due in this area to get it up to 30mb anyway? Or is that only if you've got phone calls as well which the landlord definitely doesn't want setup in the house so no-one can run up a huge phonebill.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Aug-13 17:05:18
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media broadband only prices

[re: dronkula] [link to this post]

It needs a Superhub to get 30Mbps. Price being paid could be anything as it's on a legacy product - there is every possibility that it's actually dearer than a new user 30Mbps as VM are not overly bothered about reducing old customer bills as new cheaper offers become available. See the VM website for BB only pricing on current products.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 24-Aug-13 17:05:45
Print Post

It's impossible to answer as Virgin don't price by product. They start you on the price on their website and then increase it every year. The longer it has been since your landlord changed his deal the more it will be costing. It may very well work out less to upgrade to a higher tier, the quid-pro-quo is a new 12 month contract.

On the 20 MBit thing the old modems only support that as a maximum. To get the full 30 MBit you'll need a Super Hub upgrade.

John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dronkula
(learned) Sat 24-Aug-13 17:19:03
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Ok cheers. And I assume you can't just ask Virgin to send out a new superhub to at least get the 30mb speeds without signing a new contract?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Aug-13 17:36:54
Print Post

Nope the cost of the modem is covered by knowing you've signed a nice new contract.

Nothing is free.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to