User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 12:08:25
Print Post

VM retention

[link to this post]

For anyone who is thinking of cancelling their BB only because of the price rise. I was offered 120 for £28.50 a month - which I still turned down due to the poor quality of the connection

But if yours is okay there's a way to get it cheaper. Just wanted to let you know.

Although the woman was really patronising " Oh so your paying £35 and it's going up by £2.50" - Maybe it was her Geordie twang but I think it's was sarcasm

Are they hoping many people won't notice or can't be bothered to contest the price rise? After all it's pointless if your going to offer someone who rings up £10 off a month.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 02-Sep-13 14:42:58)

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Sep-13 21:39:29
Print Post

Re: VM retention

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

They've probably got retention deals worked out for all tiers. Mine was £22.50 for 60Mbps starting immediately and no £2.50 in October. Somebody else got the same with a SH2 thrown in.

Strange technique that - announce an increase but actually make a substantial cut in exchange for a new 12month minimum term for everybody that calls in. Presumably excluding heavy users - I've spent most of my time away from home this last 6 months so will be especially light on usage. Maybe they see it as a way to penalise heavy users without actually saying so and upsetting the ASA - unless there are heavy users around who got a deal too - please tell!!.
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 23:38:06
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I was a heavy user. I got the offer. I turned it down

But the more I think about it the more I wish I hadent. Buffering issues aside £28.50 is a good price for 120.

Hmm.. Oh well, what's done is done.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 02-Sep-13 23:55:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Sep-13 00:01:53
Print Post

Ring up virgin again and go through to cancellations, quote the offer. Any decent company will reinstate it at the offer price rather than losing you. Just remember though there's a reason you said no and a reason you cancelled it.
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-13 00:11:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yes it was to save the money and also because of the buffering. You are right.

Before when I cut it off I wanted the raw speed back but now I find I have nothing to download anymore. Which sounds odd but I dont

I will, for once in my life - go with the decision I made. smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 03-Sep-13 00:12:47)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Sep-13 00:44:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I will, for once in my life - go with the decision I made. smile
You have to believe in yourself and you made a decision already, trust it. Once you believe in yourself you will go far. It definitely took me some time to realise this. I used to be the kind of guy who questioned everything I did, even if I ordered myself a new phone I would immediately question if it was the right one for me, should I really be splurging on it, should I cancel the order etc... A bad old habit of mine smile
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-13 01:11:21
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Fair point.

I have tried my roku box with what I want to stream on it and it works just fine. So I know I made the right choice.

I just think VM are a bit naughty. Reduced price right away if you want to stay - 30 days at full price if you don't - Talk about showing someone the door and then some!
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Tue 03-Sep-13 10:07:33
Print Post

I was paying £54 for 60MB \ Phone \ TV (Tivo) Large. I rang them up to cancel and got:

60MB \ Phone \ TV (Tivo) Small for £25. 12 month contract but discounted for 18 months.

Yes the BB aspect has been dodgey on occassions but at that price - how could I pass it up?
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-13 11:09:59
Print Post

[re: drummerjohn] [link to this post]

Well yes you got a whopping £29 a month discount - again all over a tiny price rise.

As someone else said - it's made them look at what they have. VM shouldn't have bothered with the price rise - simply because it's made people notice things - like you as the example

VM have gone from £54 a month (which I am sure is still a loss) to £25 a month all because they wanted to charge you a few quid more. - Crazy!

Still Americans have a sense of humour - I am sure they are eating donuts and lol'ing over it - Not sure Vodafone (who I believe want to buy LG) will be

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 03-Sep-13 11:10:30)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-13 23:28:12
Print Post

Virgin Media offered me £26.00 a month for 120/12 broadband offer when I told them I am going to leave them because of price rise and join BT FTTC. So, a massive discount for me £9 off a month for a whole 2 years (discount loyalty stay for two years) but I have to take a 12 months contract which I did. The offer is for broadband stand alone with no tv or no phone.

Nice one Virgin Media. 126Meg all last weekend with 150GB downloading and no STM at all.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2943103858

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Tue 03-Sep-13 23:29:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to