User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User abhijack
(member) Mon 14-Oct-13 20:25:19
Print Post

VM cable potential speeds?

[link to this post]

Hi friends..

How can I check potential d/l and u/l speed with VM cable at an address I am planning to move to?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 21:45:00
Print Post

Re: VM cable potential speeds?

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

Speeds shouldn't vary according to area. Barring a fault you'll get full speed for whichever package you purchase.

There's no distance issue like there is with ADSL.
Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Tue 15-Oct-13 09:49:15
Print Post

[re: abhijack] [link to this post]

Unlike DSL lines that vary with distance from the exchange/cabinet, VM cable connections always provide the connection speed you buy (actually just a little over in the case of download speeds). However, actual data throughput will vary depending on how many subscribers there are in your immediate area and how they use it.
A lot of areas are over-subscribed and suffer from poor data speeds at peak times. Other areas suffer one or two 'bad' users who insist on downloading the internet all day, every day, and unfortunately VM appear unwilling to tackle this because they prefer to market their connections as 'unlimited'.
Your 'area' can be as small as a block/street/postcode, so realistically the only way to know how good your connection is going to be is to try it - they do offer a money back guarantee.
You might be lucky (like me) and have very good throughput, or you might be unlucky (like my daughter) and have big issues at peak times.

Edited by Daemon66 (Tue 15-Oct-13 09:50:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 15-Oct-13 10:31:05
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

VM fixed all the congestion areas then?

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Oct-13 10:52:45
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I think they forgot to do mine. These are my SamKnows overall daily averages for the last week on my 60Mbps connection...

Downstream Throughput
Date Average (Mbps)
2013-10-15 33.08
2013-10-14 31.77
2013-10-13 43.18
2013-10-12 52.26
2013-10-11 49.25
2013-10-10 47.42
2013-10-09 47.57
2013-10-08 42.75

I'll be back home most of the time soon so maybe I'll see what they have to say on the forum about it. I'm not desperately concerned as it's pretty cheap thanks to a retentions deal.

Does FTTC suffer any significant congestion or does it deliver sync speed most of the time? What about cheap options such as TT? What about ADSL these days? Since moving to cable I've lost touch and tbh interest in broadband quality for other options.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Oct-13 11:21:47
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

DSL has the advantage of the service to the end user being dedicated rather than shared (as with cable and satellite).

ADSL of all flavours is uncontended back to the exchange.

FTTC is uncontended back to the cabinet. The cabinet connects to the aggregation node, which provides (multiple) gigabit connections to the handover node. At the handover node, BT Wholesale and any other networks present (which may include TalkTalk, Sky and Zen) connect with (multiple) gigabit links.

FTTP uses GPON - as I understand it, shared between up to 8 or up to 12 connections. This optical network connects to the aggregation node - then it's the same as FTTC. The optical network is compatible with 10GPON - indeed, both flavours can be deployed on the same optical network at the same time.

I've never noticed any visible contention or latency spikes on my Zen FTTC service (via BT Wholesale - Zen do not have presence at the relevant handover node) except for the three evenings three weeks ago where my connection was affected by a BT Wholesale network issue. I have a monitor running on my gateway, and have a thinkbroadband quality monitor running as well - the link to today's graph is in my signature.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Oct-13 11:54:44
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
It also has the disadvantage of the physical line quality depending on Openreach. It was a line fault that remained unfixed after 5 visits that pushed me to cable. I'd hope that I'd get a different physical connection after 4 years away but it's the worry that I may get either the same or another faulty pair which is beyond the wit of Openreach to fix that is keeping me on cable.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Tue 15-Oct-13 11:56:23)

Standard User abhijack
(member) Tue 15-Oct-13 13:13:25
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

thanks for all replies..
that opens up more options for me to move home..

i had to avoid certain nice areas as its not fibre enabled.. but i note those are VM cabled areas...Great!!
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Oct-13 13:56:57
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
It also has the disadvantage of the physical line quality depending on Openreach.
Indeed. Ultimately, you pay your money and you take your choice.

It was oversubscription issues that drove me from cable broadband to Zen ADSL when this area was DSL enabled ten years ago, but I cannot comment on cable broadband here since.

Zen is a much better fit for our needs than Virgin - we have a routed IP block on a connection used for business purposes. Virgin Media can only provide this as part of a Virgin Media Business product, which is much more than we pay Zen each month.

For many people, Virgin's consumer broadband is a good match to their needs and is always worth considering when available. It's certainly a good choice when the local BT metallic pairs are poor. We're blessed with a decent line - 14/1 Mbit/s on ADSL2+ and the full 80/20 Mbit/s on FTTC. The one fault we had was traced to dodgy crimps in a damp distribution point, which was fairly quickly found and fixed (new crimps and new dessicant packs in the DP).

Unfortunately, ADSL and FTTC depend on often historic infrastructure of variable quality, though the FTTC deployment is enabling for future deeper fibre deployment.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Oct-13 15:31:04
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

We're blessed with a decent line - 14/1 Mbit/s on ADSL2+ and the full 80/20 Mbit/s on FTTC. The one fault we had was traced to dodgy crimps in a damp distribution point, which was fairly quickly found and fixed (new crimps and new dessicant packs in the DP).

Did that fault become apparent when you changed to vdsl?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to