User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 10:06:18
Print Post

Virgin Media 150mbps coming in 2014.

[link to this post]

Should show you all here

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-offers/bbretier

Some are going from 60 to 100 - not sure about 30mbps tier. (Edit - 30 goes to 50 I believe)

New 12 month contract required. Not a problem with the new STM for me.

Between May and October it says for me. However it said between May-December 2013 for 120 and I've had it since November 2012.

So I will let you know if it bumps up.

Also I assume it will be 15mbps upload? Or maybe a bit more to match BT? We will see!

Good news for a Monday morning smile

(i'm going to go and tell the TalkTalk men who say my broadband is Illegal, Anything to annoy them smile

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 11-Nov-13 10:44:34)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 11-Nov-13 10:25:40
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media 150mbps coming in 2014.

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

do a screenshot as that url needs a valid VM account to login.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 10:29:11
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Okay done.

I have pre registered but I still get the popup and I have to screenshot it quickly before it says " You've already registered your interest"

But

Popup in My Virgin Media.

http://prntscr.com/23e3mg

Actual Info

http://prntscr.com/23e3o0

It did say between May and October first time around.

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 11-Nov-13 10:30:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 11-Nov-13 11:32:56
Print Post

But no mention of changes to upload speed in the announcement? If anything, they've dropped any reference to this when you look at comparing packages etc.

I'm only on the L30 package with a measly 2mb upload speed, it's not been upgraded from the last round of speed boosts yet. I don't really need 50mb download speed, but they'll eventually push everyone up to it I guess.

I would have been happier had they got that sorted as it's the one area that's letting them down against products like BT Infinity. I need to send a couple of files a week and that's when everything else has to stop to do that.

That's before I mention ongoing buffering of things like the BBC iPlayer and other things they said would be a thing of the past in TV ads that they then pulled...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L30)
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 12:10:26
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Well it's always been 10% or so I've seen. As for your package they wont as your on LM30? you need to be on XL30 to get 3mbps up. You may not even get put to 50 not sure. Best to ask but if they do I believe the uplift is to XXL50 which is 50/5

Just going off this chart..

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic...

Silly I know as 100 is 10mbps up and XXL100 is 5 according to that.. You'd have thought it be the other way round!

I had alot of buffering etc and problems with YouTube buffering, I never for one thought it was my PC but it was - it was 7yrs old and dying. It got to the point where I got a freeze when I went from normal to full screen and I had to stop and start to play. I'm not saying it's your PC I am saying that it's not always the service either.

Best way to confirm is to get tunnelbear which is a free 500MB/month VPN (named as it's the only one I know that gives free data) and see if it still buffers when connected. If it does it's something else and if not ofcourse it's the service

There was talk about 200 with the PS4 launch but I do think it will be 150 with this STM/no STM and then 200 with none.. It's almost like VM have the capacity etc and are just testing the water. Which if so is good business sense and good news. I like the way they are talking about SSD's on CF. I've had one for about 2 years now. Agreed they are better certainly for when it's unpacking and unzipping stuff but on the whole a mechanical HDD is just as good for grabbing at speed right now.

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 11-Nov-13 12:18:55)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 12:57:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Okay done.

I have pre registered but I still get the popup and I have to screenshot it quickly before it says " You've already registered your interest"

I will not pre-register it know why because upgrade could end up stuck at 152/12 and also renewal 12 months contract mean you might end up losing discount loyalty. I rather wait until it come out and speak to retentions instead.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Mon 11-Nov-13 12:58:59)

(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 13:47:33
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Yes but registering an interest does not mean I agree to take the service upgrade and VM cannot just put me onto it or start a new contract. Just like registering interest for FTTC does not mean you are forced to take it when it's live. VM need at the minimum a verbal agreement or written contract. Clicking pre register is not legally binding or atleast I don't think it is.

I got 120 a year ago as you know and the dates where around the same as this one so I might see when it's actually in this area. Ring them to ask at some point.

"
Standard User JohnGray7581
(newbie) Mon 11-Nov-13 13:59:29
Print Post

I'm prepared to bet 1p that there will be Yet Another Price Rise to pay for this additional bounty...

Edited by JohnGray7581 (Mon 11-Nov-13 14:00:01)

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Mon 11-Nov-13 14:34:45
Print Post

Didn't you pretend to leave VM?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Nov-13 14:52:15
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Generally Virgin says that their existing broadband customers should expect to receive a download boost of “at least 20Mbps“. But uploads will not be improved and you’ll have to sign-up to a new 12 month contract in order to benefit.

Rubbish upload as it proved BT FTTC still the fastest upload.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Mon 11-Nov-13 14:53:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to