User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Nov-13 13:16:58
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media 150mbps coming in 2014.

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The giveaway indicator is that vectoring trials are underway using 17a.

If 30a was about to be deployed why test vectoring on 17a in a public trial?

The Internet rumour machine is great, but sometimes people need to spend time reading more than just the rumours.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Nov-13 22:31:18
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
Is the "TBB test" UDP? I'm not that clued up on this stuff but assume there may be less collisions with UDP and that's why it's faster.

Less collisions?

UDP is faster because it doesn't care about packet loss or flow control, and also has less overhead in the actual frame than TCP.

Collisions happen at layer 1, physical, when a simplex connection has two transceivers transmitting simultaneously hence no usable message is received by the devices sharing that layer 1 network. UDP and TCP operate on layer 4, transport, hence make no difference to collision count. Errors can only propagate up the stack as they are encapsulated on the way down.

The TBB test is TCP. Port 8095 for single thread test, port 80 for 6 thread HTTP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Nov-13 23:11:14
Print Post

TCP port 8095 and a single thread

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 10:21:24
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Collisions on the internal ethernet connection - sending an ACK could cause a collision with an incoming packet requiring a re-transmit and making the measured speed lower. If no ACK transmissions are required as in UDP there will be no collisions from that particular connection but I'm guessing other random connections may still cause some.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Nov-13 10:41:56
Print Post

Switched Ethernet is almost invariably full duplex, meaning the connection can send and receive simultaneously. This makes collisions between a sent and a received packet impossible.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Nov-13 10:51:03
Print Post

Unless connecting through a hub the Ethernet connection is almost certainly full duplex and uses different wires in each direction.

The same cannot be said for WiFi, however.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Nov-13 17:54:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
It's not accurate anyway.. When it was doing the 6x test it was maxing me out but it only shows as 60mbps?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

bizarre.
I think you'd see that if your own kit couldn't support 120Mbps. Are you running on gigabit ethernet and are you 100% sure there is no fault on the cable - one bust connector and it will only run 100Mbps which may well give the result you see unless the test is UDP.

Hello,

Sorry just saw your post today.

Yes my kit can handle it. In the year I've had 120 I've always got full speed on all tests but only seen it on the TBB one twice. On speedtest.net I get 126-127mbps and the same for downloads.

I'm running a quad core 8GB ram and using an SSD. Also got a GB card.. Nothing wrong here.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

The TBB one (as you can see is only showing 60mbps despite maxing me out on my meter. http://prntscr.com/24c9yx

Elsewhere.. http://www.speedtest.net/result/3103305380.png

Maybe because sometimes TBB takes the longest to load is the reason why?. I use opendns and google.

In any case i just use ST.Net now.

"

Edited by pcoventry76 (Fri 15-Nov-13 17:57:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Nov-13 18:33:14
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

tell us the browser/os/flash version we can try to reproduce it and maybe find a solution or a reason for the issue

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 19:27:27
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

So a 100Mbps connector could deliver the full 100 regardless of protocol. Fair enough. I admitted up front I wasn't all that clued up on this stuff - when I learned about ethernet it was the old coax type smile. It looks like some other explanation is needed then - maybe MrS's doubts over Flash etc.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Nov-13 19:35:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry I missed that bit.

Firefox 7 Pro 11.9.900.117

"
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to