User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 11-Dec-13 18:28:09
Print Post

Broadband Price Rise

[link to this post]

Does anybody know if broadband only customers will be affected by the February 2014 price rise following the rise in October? I'm still to receive notification.

John.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Dec-13 19:32:08
Print Post

Re: Broadband Price Rise

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

I negotiated out the BB only rise in return for a discount and new minimum term.

I then received a notification of an increase of 10% by email on 2nd December. No letter.

I've ordered FTTC as I'm sick and tired of VM playing silly beggars with pricing. Install date supposed to be 19th. If it happens I'll cancel then.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Dec-13 20:26:05
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/virgin.html

Lists the pricing including the Feb 2014 rise, i.e. added now due to the way that new customers are billed in advance

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 11-Dec-13 20:44:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep but Virgin's nominal pricing bears no resemblance to what anybody actually pays. The only people who pay that are brand new customers and people who phone up and threaten to leave unless they get a deal. Otherwise they put up the prices every year to existing customers even when nominal prices stay the same. So the longer you're with them and don't phone up for a deal the more you'll pay. I don't know why websites like this don't call them out on it.

John.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 11-Dec-13 20:48:00
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Yeah I'm sorely tempted as well. Trouble is they don't install on weekends and VM is still marginally cheaper for broadband only. Plus switching technology is always a risk, at least I know cable works.

John.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Dec-13 21:31:51
Print Post

So what price do you pay now then?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 11-Dec-13 21:43:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My price since the October rise is £30 for 60 Mbit. I only switched to that package in August or so though so my price was 'reset' (to £27.50). When I was on the top tier package my price was £39.50 after two years (£37.50 after year 1). The nominal price when I first took out the package was £35 and by the time I downgraded it was £34.75 (yes 25p less). I'm quite certain I would be on £42 by now had I done nothing even though the new nominal price is only £37.50.

John.

Edited by Sark (Wed 11-Dec-13 21:54:25)

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Dec-13 22:36:30
Print Post

This is an example of how VM pricing in totally non-transparent.

I was paying £26.75 for 60Mbps and they asked for the additional £1.50 BB only so I called in and complained as that would have been two rises in less than a year and way over inflation (it was £25 after an earlier retentions deal). They immediately offered me £22.50 if I took another 12 month minimum term. I jumped at that. Now barely two months on they decide they want another £2.25

Even at £24.75 it would be a pretty decent price and FTTC will be costing me more once line rental is figured in but I'm sick of playing their games. Plus my area is starting to show congestion and past experience shows that they take their own sweet time fixing that.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Wed 11-Dec-13 22:37:48)

Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 05-Feb-14 19:01:36
Print Post

To answer my own question. No - broadband only customers will not see a further price increase!

John.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Feb-14 19:21:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sark:
To answer my own question. No - broadband only customers will not see a further price increase!

Not true. It does increase the price. Virgin Media had put up my broadband price from £26 to £28.25 a month from 1st Feb as I am on broadband standalone. However, I had cancel my half way contract 6 months remaining left on my 120/12 service broadband standalone contract because of price rise as virgin media agree to let me go and disconnected on 16th Feb with no penalty fee. I am joining Plusnet FTTC Unlimited next week.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to