User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Freds
(newbie) Sun 15-Dec-13 00:20:43
Print Post

Still waiting

[link to this post]

I have now waited over 8 months for Virgin to install a phone to my house. They keep saying they don't know how long it will take. I have been told at various times that it will be "any time now", "within two weeks" etc, and they have also said that I can't cancel my contract or have any kind of refund. Still waiting......
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 02:12:40
Print Post

Re: Still waiting

[re: Freds] [link to this post]

The contract cannot be starting until the service go LIVE. If your service isn't ready, I suggest you to make a complaint to ofcom, your local trading standard and your local MP.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Dec-13 11:26:41
Print Post

After a couple of months you should be able to cancel the order as they haven't provided the service in a reasonable time.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Dec-13 11:47:32
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In a couple of months he'll be beyond the minimum term anyway smile

OP just look upon this as a lucky escape.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Dec-13 22:59:28
Print Post

Section 14 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 requires services being provided by a business to be provided within a reasonable time unless the contract or dealings between the parties provide otherwise.

I doubt that anything in the contract sets a date for service provision that would be extensible to 8 months, and an 8 months delay is clearly not reasonable.

A more detailed analysis of the scenario will likely reveal that Virgin Media have breached the contract by their failure to provide the contracted service within 8 months, and this breach would be such as to entitle the original poster to breach of contract. However, that argument is more difficult to make out for someone lacking legal experience, so it's probably easier to try an argument based on s. 14 SGSA 1982 first.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Dec-13 21:49:39
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

That's what I stated in a more succinct way.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
  Print Thread

Jump to