User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User juzza10
(newbie) Tue 18-Feb-14 14:13:30
Print Post

Install my own VM cable outside to cabinet

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I currently live in a rural village in Lincolnshire (Saxilby) that actually has Virgin Media in the area. Unfortunately I live about 20 metres from where the VM cable stops. I have spoken to Virgin and they said that they will not extend their cable just for me as it would need an addtional green cabinet as I am approximately 160 metres from the closest cabinet. Does anybody know what the maximum cable length from the green cabinet is? I would have thought it would be more. FTTC is also coming in the next few months but I estimate I am 800-1000 metres from the BT cabinet so Im not expecting great speeds on that. I've even thought about installing my own cable to the Virgin cable outside, has anybody ever done this and VM has connected them? Alternatively I could ask the neighbour to let me pay for their internet and i transfer wirelessly smile

Thanks
Justin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Feb-14 14:21:38
Print Post

Re: Install my own VM cable outside to cabinet

[re: juzza10] [link to this post]

FTTC should be in the 25 to 30 Meg down, and 5 to 8 Meg upload for that distance. Maybe more if the wiring is good.

On using your wire, more chance of winning lottery. If they say it needs another cabinet, then even if you run your cable to meet theirs you might get no signal. DOCSIS is not rate adaptive, i.e. either it works or does not.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Feb-14 20:52:26
Print Post

Might be easier to come to an agreement with neighbour. Get an ethernet cable run into the back of his router.

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-14 22:59:44
Print Post

The VM network uses amplifiers and one of those will be what the new cabinet is to house, specifically a line extender.

VM set different levels of amplification and attenuation on their network to balance signals out. If your signal is too weak or too strong it will cause problems, and their power budget appears to indicate you're too far away for a reliable service.

The maximum cable length from the green cabinet depends on the settings in that green cabinet, there is no right or wrong answer, and in your case Virgin think that the extra 20 metres is too much.

VM aren't going to connect you if you install your own cable to their network, they're more likely to prosecute you, harsh as it is!

Try and escalate it within Virgin and see if they'll look at it again, they may have gotten the numbers wrong the first time around, but if they are right you are out of luck. They can install a lower loss, higher grade cable which can extend the reach but if that's already being used on the properties near you it's problematic.

Lastly, VM have a budget of 300GBP per new home connected. It sounds an awful lot like whichever way it goes your costs would come in way above that and, just as BT have their commercial viability levels, VM do too.

Sorry I can't be more positive frown
Standard User brandscill
(member) Tue 18-Feb-14 23:32:51
Print Post

If FTTC is coming in the next few months it is your best option. Pursuing Virgin could take years and even then will be unlikely to have an outcome in your favour.
Standard User mlmclaren
(learned) Tue 25-Mar-14 20:13:19
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I agree with the above, come to an agreement with your neighbour to run an Ethernet of setup a wireless system and do that until FTTC comes along... Virgin won't do it, even in Birmingham a new build 2 doors away has virgin cable but neighbour either side of them don't and virgin won't run another cable up the street and that cable cabinet is very close to the property.

Any way you don't want to be going down that route with Virgin...... So many of us can't wait for FTTC to become available..

If you want some advice on the solutions above give me a message and ill gladly help you out.

MLM

Edited by mlmclaren (Tue 25-Mar-14 20:13:57)

Standard User brandscill
(member) Wed 26-Mar-14 08:55:22
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Interesting they won't give the neighbour next door virgin. Generally they'll take the cable going into the neighbours property, split it and attack an amplifier if needed.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Mar-14 13:47:00
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Interesting they won't give the neighbour next door virgin. Generally they'll take the cable going into the neighbours property, split it and attack an amplifier if needed.

Ive seen them put new fibre in for my neighbour a few weeks ago. Well I assume so they ran some from the box in the street to their home. Had fibre on a big reel
Standard User brandscill
(member) Thu 27-Mar-14 08:09:43
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I guess it just depends how many people are on one line already.

I know down my street each semi detached house seems have a shared line.
Standard User TheEulerID
(newbie) Thu 27-Mar-14 08:31:15
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

If it's from a VM cabinet, it will surely be co-ax and not fibre,
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to