User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NVB
(member) Fri 28-Feb-14 22:46:58
Print Post

Re: Supercharged!!

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Is that true about no downstream traffic management on the supercharged product, ie, download as much as you like during peak hours, unhindered ???
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Feb-14 22:55:56
Print Post

[re: NVB] [link to this post]

It is what we have been told directly by Virgin Media

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Feb-14 23:08:15
Print Post

[re: NVB] [link to this post]

And I believe it's every speed not just 152. I thought this might happen when STM in this area just stopped about 6 weeks ago.

I don't get it, i am told by CEO letter that whilst it's unlimited if I continue to download Iwill have speed restricted, and then a week later it's publicly removed and speeded up!

Still, never mind smile VM got there in the end, and now no ISP in the Uk uses draconian STM ( well the upload will follow here I am sure)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmk
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-14 23:41:32
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I don't get it, i am told by CEO letter that whilst it's unlimited if I continue to download Iwill have speed restricted, and then a week later it's publicly removed and speeded up!

Why? How much do you download in a month on average?
Standard User NVB
(member) Sat 01-Mar-14 00:23:12
Print Post

[re: gmk] [link to this post]

I was with Blueyonder back in the days before Virgin, service was always excellent and no stm, then as soon as BT's FTTC became available I jumped onboard, I may give Virgin's 152 Mbit service a try when my BT contract expires in a few months.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 01:40:23
Print Post

[re: gmk] [link to this post]

i was doing around 2TB a month but that was not the issue. I was downloading for several hours overnight every night even though that's what the letters tell us to do it was too much.

meanwhile my friends on FTTC were doing 10TB + and hearing nothing, Oh well, not something I will get while I live where I am.

Standard User gmk
(newbie) Sat 01-Mar-14 02:08:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
i was doing around 2TB a month but that was not the issue. I was downloading for several hours overnight every night even though that's what the letters tell us to do it was too much.

meanwhile my friends on FTTC were doing 10TB + and hearing nothing, Oh well, not something I will get while I live where I am.

Wasting my time here but why do you download 2TB a month? It's like you and your friends see it as some sort of achievement? It is a shared & finite resource after all... I have access to a couple of servers with gigabit connections yet I download less than 10 GB a month between them because I download what I need. And on my personal connection it's always less than 400 GB; again I download/stream only when I need to.
Standard User commsguru
(learned) Sat 01-Mar-14 10:12:49
Print Post

Does anyone know what people on old products like 20meg will get upgraded.
I got VM to give a friend the superhub about a year ago, he is on 20meg. I asked VM if they could give a free upgrade to 30meg. VM said only if he pays more. so he declined and stated on 20meg.
I wonder how many people are on 10, 5, 2meg or even 512k packages.
Am I right in beliving the superhub could do 400meg.
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Sat 01-Mar-14 10:30:37
Print Post

Just got it! Instant upgrade after one hell of a battle! Don't be put off by obstacles put in your way. Some of the sales / retentions team are not up to speed (pun intended) and swear blind that even though your next door neighbour can have the upgrade, you can't. Indeed they palmed me off to 'technical' in Bangalore, just to get rid of me.

My second attempt got me put through to a very nice and bright person called Lisa who re-contracted me immediately and also saved me £5.00 a month. The upgrade happened before we ended our conversation.

We had a really good conversation about other stuff. Lisa wouldn't tell me the colour of her underwear, but she did say that she would speak to the sales team about ensuring that requests for upgrades from existing customers. She also confirmed that the 152Mb was so that VM could say they offered twice the maximum down speed offered by BT Infinity.

Lisa also confirmed that the reason that the rollout had been phased for existing customers was that the admin system would not have been able to manage all those upgrade actions in one go and that the new customer opportunity was to catch new customers. She agreed that this was being rather mean to existing customers especially when, as I have discovered, you can get 152 Mb for less than you get 120Mb because of discounting.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13936...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3340326901.png

EDIT......................................................................................................................................

Some VM customers may get their 152Mb even though their area hasn't been re-segmented. They may notice that they only get 140Mbish in peak periods. Generally you can tell that you have been re-segmented if your Super Hub is using all 8 downstream channels.

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Sat 01-Mar-14 17:27:04)

Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Sat 01-Mar-14 10:44:56
Print Post

I'm one of those VM customers who never got traffic managed. I always got 126mb/11.6Mb 24/7/365, even when I had been using P2P heavily.

Now I don't care because now, as of 1 hour ago, I have 152Mb/ 12Mb. Effectively this is 160Mb/ 12.2Mb because VM have allowed for overheads in the modem config.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3340346564.png

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13936...

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Edited by roughbeast (Sat 01-Mar-14 10:48:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to