User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Mar-14 11:03:43
Print Post

Re: Supercharged!!

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

Be aware of course that there are faster BT Infinity products available, just to only around 100,000 premises

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 12:02:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Be aware of course that there are faster BT Infinity products available, just to only around 100,000 premises

Be careful as this is NOT available to my area. lol

plusnetfttc72/17meg virginmediacable152/12meg
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 12:54:24
Print Post

Nothing was mentioned to me about a recontract, I too had to make 2 calls the first was UK CS saying " well I can put you through to retentions but they cant do anything I can't do"

So I called back, the agent Dan even posted in the news article to say it was him who did it - what a nice chap smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 12:55:48
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

Be careful as this is NOT available to my area. lol

or mine! LOL

I have had 120 and 152 a good 12 months earlier than the website states, happy days!

Now to torment the talktalk guy in town who said my 120 was illegal and the government would detain me, show him a TBB speed test in the hope he would explode smile

(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 12:56:45
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by commsguru:
Does anyone know what people on old products like 20meg will get upgraded.
I got VM to give a friend the superhub about a year ago, he is on 20meg. I asked VM if they could give a free upgrade to 30meg. VM said only if he pays more. so he declined and stated on 20meg.
I wonder how many people are on 10, 5, 2meg or even 512k packages.
Am I right in beliving the superhub could do 400meg.

I believe 50mbps will be the bottom tier to all at some point, VM have done trials of 1.5Gbps and as it was to a small town I think it might have been SH2's but I don't know for sure.

(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 12:59:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
I'm one of those VM customers who never got traffic managed. I always got 126mb/11.6Mb 24/7/365, even when I had been using P2P heavily.

Now I don't care because now, as of 1 hour ago, I have 152Mb/ 12Mb. Effectively this is 160Mb/ 12.2Mb because VM have allowed for overheads in the modem config.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3340346564.png

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13936...

For me it stopped about 6 weeks ago. I agree although I got told off for downloading too much in an actual letter which said it is unlimited but if I carried on downloading as much I would have my speeds reduced.

I get 165.2mbps all the time, SH is at 168.9 I think. As we know VM always provide for more. lastnight it was fluxing but it never went below the old 120 so nothing to see here smile

(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 13:02:37
Print Post

[re: gmk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmk:
In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
i was doing around 2TB a month but that was not the issue. I was downloading for several hours overnight every night even though that's what the letters tell us to do it was too much.

meanwhile my friends on FTTC were doing 10TB + and hearing nothing, Oh well, not something I will get while I live where I am.

Wasting my time here but why do you download 2TB a month? It's like you and your friends see it as some sort of achievement? It is a shared & finite resource after all... I have access to a couple of servers with gigabit connections yet I download less than 10 GB a month between them because I download what I need. And on my personal connection it's always less than 400 GB; again I download/stream only when I need to.

I am not even someone who does usenet or p2p! but I do several things which all come to about that - anyway that's my business. It might well be finite but considering others do 7-10TB on FTTC with no problems cable needs to catch up there.

It's not every month either.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 13:16:21
Print Post

Had Openreach actually carried out what seemed to be the original plans and passed 10% of the intended NGA footprint with FTTP that may be relevant.

Sadly it seems even of that 100,000 a good part are in gap-funded Cornwall.
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Sat 01-Mar-14 13:34:27
Print Post

100,000? Probably not worth the mention then even if you are trying to big up BT.

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 14:55:48
Print Post

Question is will BT fightback to get FTTC to equal Virgin Media 152Meg? I doubt it won't be. Never mind that FTTPoD 330/30 (far too expensive installation charge, long contract 36 months and too much monthly charge £99 exc vat)

plusnetfttc72/17meg virginmediacable152/12meg

Edited by adslmax (Sat 01-Mar-14 14:57:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to