User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 06-Mar-14 12:14:38
Print Post

VDSL router

[link to this post]

Hi
I currently have a VSDL router for FTTC (Asus DSL‑N66U) but am thinking of moving to VM (mainly for cost/speed).

Do I have to use the VM router or can I use my existing VSDL router?

Thanks in advance
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Mar-14 12:26:23
Print Post

Re: VDSL router

[re: ismoore999] [link to this post]

You have to use the Virgin Superhub to terminate the DOCSIS cable (coax connector) but you can opt to run the super hub in modem mode, leaving all the NAT work to you. Obviousy use the Ethernet WAN port rather than the DSL port to connect to the super hub

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 12:27:04
Print Post

Hi,

You would need to swap the FTTC router for the virgin one, you can either rn it in modem mode with your N66U or you can use the superhub 2. The wireless on it is very good compared to the first one but alot of people choose to use an N66U for their own purpose.

IF you don't know someone around you with VM then trialling it is the only option. At the very worst if you didn't keep it you wold be left with a white box in your house on the inside and a brown one on the outside. Don't forget with Cable you don't need a phone line to get internet.

::edit:: it's been fixed with a new SW push so I have removed the links

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 06-Mar-14 12:36:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 06-Mar-14 13:50:17
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Ah. You removed the link just as I was about to ask what happened!

How long have you been on Virgin? Sounded like the issue got fixed quickly.

Ian
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 16:18:33
Print Post

Sorry.

It was an overnight thing, Service status says there is a problem with getting slow e-mail but I was getting everything slow. Fixed with a reboot and a new SW file which it got according to the log.

ive been on virgin at a few houses in the past 10 years for that long. here it's been since march 2012.
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 06-Mar-14 17:17:04
Print Post

aha, switch it off and on again - always works! smile

In answer to your earlier question I work from home a lot so I'd just go for BB only at first and then maybe add phone later - plan is to use the one for business. VM had never had good upload speeds which I need from time to time but finally.... wink
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 18:20:44
Print Post

if it was me I would use FTTC for business and VM for personal, that way everyone's a winner. Plusnet do a very good business service with fantastic dedicated support, in case you were looking arond smile
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 06-Mar-14 20:09:36
Print Post

Interesting. I'm with plus net at present but not the business service and the fault service has been appalling each time I have had issues.
Am I being too harsh?
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 21:47:04
Print Post

having worked there from 2007 until 2010 I would say no and yes/

I can tell you having also done it that the business team are something else, very few people who experience the business team ever want to change back to a residential service. My dad was on their Option 3 ADSL for years and never needed them but we knew if he did he would get an instant response on the phone basically by someone who actually gave a [censored].. They used to have a 3 second or 3 ring rule can't remember which

Bang for buck in my eyes Plusnet business team are the best value around - if that made sense?
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Mar-14 14:58:28
Print Post

pcoventry76 - what the real different between residential fibre and business fibre? Does business fibre had the best support, quickest fault team, lower contention ratio?

plusnetfttc72/17meg virginmediacable152/12meg

Edited by adslmax (Fri 07-Mar-14 14:58:47)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to