User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Grzyb
(member) Wed 26-Mar-14 15:13:45
Print Post

Installation Question

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Looks like I may be on a Exchange Only (EO) Connection, so no chance in the near future or ever getting Fibre Broadband via a Cabinet. So it Looks like If I want a fast Fibre Solution I will need to move to Virgin Cable.

My Question is, I currently have my Master Socket in the Front Spare Bedroom & as such that is where the Router Is. Will Virgin Run a Cable to Where I want the Router Situated? Or will they insist it being Downstairs, Which for me is Not Practical as I have my Office Connected Devices where my Router Currently is & can't Move them....

Cheers
Standard User brandscill
(member) Wed 26-Mar-14 15:42:57
Print Post

Re: Installation Question

[re: Grzyb] [link to this post]

Depends on the engineer. My dad had it installed upstairs for the office before without any issue so it should be okay as long as it's easy to access the external wall etc.

If they don't could your own router, stick the Virgin Superhub in modem mode and power line to your own router in the office.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Mar-14 15:44:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Grzyb:
Hi All,

Looks like I may be on a Exchange Only (EO) Connection, so no chance in the near future or ever getting Fibre Broadband via a Cabinet. So it Looks like If I want a fast Fibre Solution I will need to move to Virgin Cable.

My Question is, I currently have my Master Socket in the Front Spare Bedroom & as such that is where the Router Is. Will Virgin Run a Cable to Where I want the Router Situated? Or will they insist it being Downstairs, Which for me is Not Practical as I have my Office Connected Devices where my Router Currently is & can't Move them....

Cheers

A few times in the past the engineer used to just use the existing socket and take it off BT and onto them not sure if they still do.

But yes he will fit a point there. I am in my upstairs front bedroom and I have a white box point thingy here. He just runs the cable up the outside wall.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User insider12
(newbie) Wed 26-Mar-14 15:59:09
Print Post

remember when dealing with engineers that you want to carry work out for you, offer a biscuit and a drink. They are then more likely to do any fiddly cabling without looking at you like you have asked them to do a cable run up mount everest.

CCNA, CCNP, MTA.
Virgin Media 60Mbps
ISP networking and WiFi Engineer.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Mar-14 17:43:17
Print Post

[re: insider12] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by insider12:
remember when dealing with engineers that you want to carry work out for you, offer a biscuit and a drink. They are then more likely to do any fiddly cabling without looking at you like you have asked them to do a cable run up mount everest.

Good tip, however VM say they will install anywhere up to 30M into the house and I believe there is also a free kit to help the engineers do that.
  Print Thread

Jump to