User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Mar-14 23:54:45
Print Post

Bouncing e-mails

[link to this post]

Noticed this a couple of weeks ago - but it sorted itself out after about 3 hours.

started again today - have various iThings from which I can send emails - a MacBook Pro on Mavericks 10.9.2 an ITouch on 6.1.6 and an iPad 2 on 7.1

Any suggestions on this

1) Friend in the USA - emailed me today - I replied from the MPB using reply button [ MacMail] Bounced back saying

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-11-imp. I am sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. The message is attached below. The remote mail system said: 5.7.0 Blocked - see https://support.proofpoint.com/dnsbl-lookup.cgi?ip=8... xxxxxxxxxxx@mac.com

As far as I know that's not my IP [ My IP starts 81. ] nor is it my mate's [ yes he checked for me this evening]

2) Friends in UK and Ireland did get e-mails from me today - no problem at all

3) Friend in USA can get e-mails from the MPB using my @me.com address from iTouch and the MBP

4) Friend in USA can get emails from the iTouch using the NTL address and the @me.com one.

Any ideas as to what I can do to sort things out ?

A warning - I am not technologically literate.

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 09:06:10
Print Post

Re: Bouncing e-mails

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Your outgoing email is being routed through a VirginMedia SMTP relay and that relay has been blocked by a spam detector. You should report this to VirginMedia.
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 10:28:25
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

OK - as I said being technologically incompetent

Why is the e-mail to the .mac address in the USA being blocked if I send from NTL on the MBP , but not if I send from the iTouch using NTL

[As he's not yet online can't check using the iPad ]

And please don't laugh - how do I tell VirginMedia ?

Yesterday I did report - using the link that had appeared on the bounce message - it as a false positive.

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 15:53:45
Print Post

This is driving me nuts - now a .me address has bounced

It's no good me phoning them - it will go Off Shore - and I've problems with accents as I'm deaf .

The phone is hard enough - I really need a human being who is willing to listen and not tell me to reboot the Router - done that , Also had the router off overnight , but it takes a long time offline for me to get a new IP

I need the name and e-mail address for a decent human being who will help me

(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 21:10:00
Print Post

Well - I finally decided enough was enough and phoned

Yes I got the automated thingy at the beginning - you know reboot the super hub and we see you haven't done this for some time . LIARS - the super hub was disconnected overnight so was off for over 6 hours and yes the MPB was fired up once the lights were stable.

Eventually I got a human - a Welsh guy who admitted he knew nothing about this and wanted to take control of my MBP - that is NOT in my scheme of things. He then admitted he knew nothing about Apple stuff.

After 30 mins of him going away to talk to folk about the problem I got thoroughly fed up and asked for a name and e-mail address so I could sent the screenshot of the thing I got telling me that the email could not be delivered because of spamming -oh and guess what the IP of 90. xx.xxx.xx leads to - VIRGINMEDIA.net !!

Seems this is not possible - no-one has an external e-mail so I can't communicate with one person till this is sorted out . I have 2 wonderful screenshots and I can't get them to anyone in Virgin Media - flipping wonderful frown

Eventually I got David to realise I was very very serious, when I said that I was not prepared to put up with this and I wanted to talk with someone who would take management of the problem- even if I had to go to the top , and I warned him that was something I would do !

He promised me his Manager called John would get back to me within an hour - that was 3 hours ago and I'm still waiting.

I've carried on testing and I have 3 friends who have assorted apple e-mail addresses and all are blocked.

They are now blocked from every iThing I have.

I've even tried emailing myself at my .me addy from NTL - and I can't - but I can send from the me.com addy to everyone in my address book

Anyone know the CEO's e-mail address - so I have it ready for next week ?

Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 23:02:39
Print Post

I am guessing that you are sending your outgoing email via an SMTP relay that is called either smtp.blueyonder.co.uk or smtp.ntlworld.com or smtp.virginmedia.com or smtp.virgin.net. These appear to have been spam blocked.

Remove the offending SMTP relay from your email settings. It is not necessary as Virginmedia do not block outgoing SMTP. If you are still stuck, use webmail until the relay gets unblocked.
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Mar-14 07:32:38
Print Post

But why is it only the Apple e-mails ? Everything goes out through smtp.ntlworld.com

Nothing else is affected and I fail to see why I have to use webmail which I hate like poison.

Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Mar-14 08:09:43
Print Post

I suggest you drop using smtp.ntlworld.com in your settings. It would seem that smtp.ntlworld.com is spam blocked.

No sure I understand why you hate webmail. I solely use that these days; its convenient and also secure.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Mar-14 08:38:27
Print Post

It's [censored] slow and full of adverts!

Secure? Secure from prying eyes?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Mar-14 08:42:59
Print Post

What SMTP you suggest in its place? If you use GMail or Hotmail's they replace your sending addy with their own.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to