User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sat 29-Mar-14 10:54:06
Print Post

Does VM still have a FUP?

[link to this post]

I'm deciding on which way to go when I move away from ADSL2+ technology. VM looks good. But I keep seeing the dreaded "fair usage policy" abbreviation appearing on the pages when mentioning the VM broadband packages.

So whats the deal with FUP? is it still being applied to VM?

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
Standard User mlmclaren
(learned) Sat 29-Mar-14 12:31:02
Print Post

Re: Does VM still have a FUP?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

NO Virgin don't have a FUP policy but they do have a Traffic Management system that decreases allowed upload speeds if you exceed a certain limit in a certain time gap of a day, More info at link below

http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic...

Different tiers have different allowances.....

My recommendation to you is, If you can get FTTC at a decent speed at your household then go for it.

But thats me really...... What do you use your broadband primarily for?

MLM
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Mar-14 12:38:33
Print Post

Officially No but they have got snotty with me in writing for doing around 2TB in a month.. Of course the people I know who do 7-10TB on FTTC just laugh at that.

It is unlimited but if you continue to download at this volume your speeds will be restricted" was their wording to me. It was not computer generated either.

I would agree with MLM, the only reason I have it is that I can't get FTTC as I live the wrong side of the road. If I could I wouldn't be with VM at all.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 29-Mar-14 12:38:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bowdon
(regular) Sat 29-Mar-14 17:09:03
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I mainly use it for games and some IRC chatting. I'm not much in to the torrenting places.. but yea.. I'm not a fan of being restricted.

I would have thought cable would have had a higher capacity than BT's fibre/copper network, so wouldnt need to do the traffic management.

Looks like I'll end up with BT eventually, after Sky finish changing my line from the dying Be.. why can't these companies stay in business! lol

Freeserve -> Pipex -> Be
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Mar-14 00:33:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
I mainly use it for games and some IRC chatting. I'm not much in to the torrenting places.. but yea.. I'm not a fan of being restricted.

I would have thought cable would have had a higher capacity than BT's fibre/copper network, so wouldnt need to do the traffic management.

Looks like I'll end up with BT eventually, after Sky finish changing my line from the dying Be.. why can't these companies stay in business! lol

They can but like most companys the idea is to build it up and sell out. I am sure the creators of Be are millionaires as a result.

Cable is less because the network is old. FTTC is brand new and there is no sharing from cab to exchange on FTTC but on cable a lot of people share it - I think I have seen 400 people sharing a pipe and 2-3 152 downloads can max it out.

You should be fine for what you have said you use the internet for. I only have experience of ADSL 2+ and LLU services but the one thing about cable I do know (although it varies from area to area) is that connection wise it is rock solid. Also with cable you can turn it off when not in use and you will always get the same speed no matter how many times you do it - unlike FTTC where it can degrade the line due to Dynamic Line Management. If you are in a good are you will have a sweet connection If you are not you wont but as VM do a 28 day money back guarantee you have nothing to lose by trying it smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 30-Mar-14 00:35:33)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Mar-14 16:43:06
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

" FTTC is brand new and there is no sharing from cab to exchange on FTTC "

Think you're wrong!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Mar-14 18:34:22
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:

Think you're wrong!

Okay then I apologise. Igni and others are also wrong as they say there is no contention from the cab back to the exchange per user.Or so I believe I read that on CF?

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 30-Mar-14 18:34:43)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Mar-14 19:25:34
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Wrong! 100% wrong.
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Mar-14 20:48:10
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

Wrong! 100% wrong.

To be fair he was just quoting me so I am wrong 100% wrong. For which I appologise
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Mon 31-Mar-14 01:13:12
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

What's the evidence to say that this is wrong and adslmax no he is not "100% wrong"

MLM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to