User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Sat 31-May-14 03:27:09
Print Post

Network Information?

[link to this post]

Hi

Now I'm very much aware of how the the virgin media network works as it's setup, I was just wondering if anyone has any information that would tell me how much bandwidth up and down is available on each node that serves a loop of cabinet and also a refresh on how many cabs are normally served by a node.

I know upload currently is much though upgrades are supposedly being done in many areas but a figure or at least some of the last known figures would be great.

Regards.

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Sun 01-Jun-14 01:06:14
Print Post

Re: Network Information?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

seem know one can tell me this then...

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sun 01-Jun-14 06:55:42
Print Post

It varies wildly by area so unless you know the area and someone knows of or is a VM engineer in that area it's unlikely someone could.

Virgin Media 60mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Sun 01-Jun-14 13:03:59
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Well I was looking for an estimate really but if it helps I'm connected to the Kings Norton uBR in Birmingham, big council estate and obviously city if that helps to give an idea... I was just looking for an estimate really..

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 10:45:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Hi

Now I'm very much aware of how the the virgin media network works as it's setup, I was just wondering if anyone has any information that would tell me how much bandwidth up and down is available on each node that serves a loop of cabinet and also a refresh on how many cabs are normally served by a node.

I know upload currently is much though upgrades are supposedly being done in many areas but a figure or at least some of the last known figures would be great.

Regards.

Wouldn't they class this as commercially sensitive information?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 11:11:39
Print Post

Wasn't aware there was an SLA on forum responses.

I was just wondering if anyone has any information that would tell me how much bandwidth up and down is available on each node that serves a loop of cabinet

Depends how much VM have provisioned to that node.

and also a refresh on how many cabs are normally served by a node.

Amount of cabs irrelevant as they come in different sizes and some areas don't have cabinets at all.

Homes passed the target is somewhere between 250 and 500 homes, however as I'm sure you're very much aware an individual node may be combined with another node or more than another node so bandwidth is spread between them, and there may be more bandwidth available than an individual modem can access due to the configurations in use.

A single modem may have access to 2 of 4 DOCSIS 3 upstreams due to configuration and there will be some DOCSIS 1.1 upstreams there too. There could also be 6 - 12 downstreams present of which a single modem can lock onto 8, max.

The upstreams may vary in modulation from 16QAM to 32QAM to 64QAM, and the DOCSIS 1.1 channels 1.6MHz or 3.2MHz, which makes a 50% difference in bandwidth available on modulation and 100% in channel width.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Mon 02-Jun-14 11:12:47)

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Mon 02-Jun-14 12:26:26
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Wasn't aware there was an SLA on forum responses.

Normally responses are quite quick but its taken a while to get a response on this one.

I was just wondering if anyone has any information that would tell me how much bandwidth up and down is available on each node that serves a loop of cabinet

Depends how much VM have provisioned to that node.

I'm aware of that and that's why I'm asking what an area like mine would get (estimate)

and also a refresh on how many cabs are normally served by a node.

Amount of cabs irrelevant as they come in different sizes and some areas don't have cabinets at all.

I'm also aware of this and can answer you question by telling you that all cabinets in my area are 96 port cabs.

(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 12:34:58
Print Post

An area like yours will get what every other area gets, enough to satisfy the demand or as much as is technically feasible to provide at the time.

How do you know each cabinet has 96 ports in it?
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Mon 02-Jun-14 12:43:34
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
An area like yours will get what every other area gets, enough to satisfy the demand or as much as is technically feasible to provide at the time.

And that for a busy area is normally?

How do you know each cabinet has 96 ports in it?

Virgin technicians and network engineers

(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 12:53:10
Print Post

Then they should be able to tell you how much capacity has been allocated to that node.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to