User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kebabselector
(newbie) Tue 17-Jun-14 13:40:14
Print Post

VM installation and tarmac drives

[link to this post]

Due to the fact BT aren't overly interested in upgrading my Cab to fibre I'm having to look for alternatives - so Virgin it might have to be. My one question is about the installation and my Tarmac drive......

Drive Image

Now my street point is on the wrong side of the drive (towards the centre on the image where the bricks meet at the top left of my driveway). Just wondering if anyone has experience of how VM might install the cable. Digging the drive or removing the bricks isn't an option. Would they reposition the street point so it's near the wall on the right hand side?

The cable points were installed over 25 years ago, by Birmingham Cable!

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb.
Exchange is Fibre enabled, street cab not economically viable to upgrade.
Could get V*rgin, but I'd rather not.

Edited by kebabselector (Tue 17-Jun-14 13:57:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Jun-14 10:06:44
Print Post

Re: VM installation and tarmac drives

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Best bet is see what they've done for others in your area.

If the work is likely to cost more than £300 (rumour they may go as far as £600) they don't do the install.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 18-Jun-14 11:24:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, I'll have a wonder around the area to see if I can spot any similar installations.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 19-Jun-14 12:08:05
Print Post

Could you take a photo of your drive preferable from the location at the front where you should find a CATV plate..

Looks like this: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/spike7451/CATV...

May look slightly different and may be metal... If you can't find one might mean its buried or was never fitted at which point they will have to dig anyway.

(newbie) Thu 19-Jun-14 13:43:39
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

You can see the area where is it on my image. It's on the pavement towards the centre of the image (though a bigger image from Flickr is better - Link).

Problem is it really should be near my brick wall (on the right)

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 19-Jun-14 13:51:58
Print Post

Oh yes sorry.

Well they should realistically relocate the tee close to the wall and then they will probably nail it along the wall to your property...

Or (less likely) they will cut out a section of tarmac up your drive from the original tee to your property.. This is very unlikely though has been done before. and also depends if they are carrying flexible conduit with them to put in the ground, but living in Birmingham myself and having re pulls done multiple times I have found they very rarely carry conduit and just stick cable in the ground.

Also note that the street team who will relocate tee's and do the pull from the cabinet will not do any work past the end of your drive and will then send out normal technician or a burial team to run the cable to the property.

(newbie) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:16:34
Print Post

Thanks for the info. I've seen what they've done to drives before hence why I'm reluctant for them to go anyway near it (it's been cleaned up since the picture so not as green!)

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:46:06
Print Post

Does the wall to the right have plants in it or behind it, either way running the cable inside or behind in would be the best idea... after having the tee moved over toward it.

(learned) Thu 19-Jun-14 15:58:51
Print Post

I have no problem with the cable being tacked against the wall (it is full of plants and soil) - problem with burying it the neighbour likes gardening and no doubt it'll get knocked/cut at some point

Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 19-Jun-14 16:06:20
Print Post

Well if it is in conduit and buried that shouldn't happen to easily.. Tacking it would be fine also just might look a bit out of place and depending on your area could be tampered with or as happened here in Kings Norton, Stolen by a scrap man...

Though he must of been a bit thick as it isn't worth nothing and isn't full copper just plated the rest is aluminium.

I'm sure you and Virgins teams can agree to a plan anyway.

The street team are pretty tidy as the council come down very hard on them at the stupidest of things..

When I had my tee reset on the public pathway during a repull in my old house, the council fined them £2500 and £500 for everyday that it wasn't fixed....

The thing is it was a tiny crack in the pavement that had been there for years but as they did some work the council came and inspected it and blamed it on Virgin.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to