User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Aug-14 06:16:30
Print Post

Router for SH1

[link to this post]

I have the original SH. I've just been upgraded and am getting 150Mbs+ over the wire, so I thought I'd give modem mode another go (my last effort with a Belkin didn't really have much effect on wireless speeds). Any recommendations for a decent router that might give me a decent speed over wireless. The 'modem' is downstairs and the computers on the floor above. I can sit next to the SH downstairs and get the 150Mbs via Ethernet on my lappies but would like something similar upstairs over wireless.
Will VM give/sell me a SH2? Any point?
What would it cost to have the modem moved upstairs and how do they do that? I wouldn't object to external fixings rather than take up the floorboards!

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 6GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
(Virgin 100Mbs as backup)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Aug-14 11:40:15
Print Post

Re: Router for SH1

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Routers like the TP Link Archer C7 £87 will invariably blow away any router supplied kit for wireless speeds and add other functionality.

Another popular choice is the Asus RT-N66U £100

The Asus has a nicer firmware out of the box and both units can take various custom firmware to add features well beyond what you would ever consider.

NOTE: If upstairs has concrete floors with rebar, then you may find wireless is no good and getting an Ethernet cabie onto the upstairs is the way to go with a wireless access point covering the floor. With wood flooring the Asus can manage 105 Mbps over two floors if luck is on your side and using 5GHz

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Aug-14 11:59:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Those routers look just the job - pricey but nice. Is there any point in me asking VM for a SH2 to see if that improves things over wireless before I invest in a new router? I take the point about routing Ethernet through the ceiling void (I have wooden floors) but would it also be viable to clip it to an outside wall? The last time I drilled a hole upwards to take a TV aerial through the floor to the loft I made a mess of the plaster and almost hit a pipe in the airing cupboard! It does work well though. I've just visited the SH1 web interface and I see that it does do 5GHz. I never tried it due to old cards in a couple of devices but maybe it's time to see if I can get that going now on my newer machines.

8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Aug-14 12:20:42
Print Post

Normal Ethernet cable outside will break down due to UV exposure, so external grade for the outside would be best. Two Ethernet cables outdoors here, from top floor to front and back of house, 3rd on the way to reach shed.

5GHz usually has slightly less range, but higher speeds when available.

The SH2 is likely to be only better if it has more antenna in terms of WiFi coverage. The advantage you also gain with a separate router is you can locate it on the end of an Ethernet cable in a better location to spread the wireless around too, i.e. not behind the TV where so much cable kit seems to live.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Aug-14 12:56:53
Print Post

The SH2 is better. But if you are interested for the price of postage I have a TP-Link WR1043ND sat here gathering dust. I've used it before on 152 and it works fine.

Yours if you want it - just PM me where to send it.
Standard User toph3r
(experienced) Tue 26-Aug-14 18:29:59
Print Post

If you're relatively technically proficient (ie, you know your BGP from your OSPF) I would recommend Ubiquiti gear.

Both the EdgeMax Lite [1] and their wireless access points are superb [2]

[1] http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/
[2] http://www.ubnt.com/enterprise/ - specifically http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/16587-ubiqu...

You are getting so much kit for so little money.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Aug-14 08:02:29
Print Post

[re: toph3r] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've asked for a SH2 and will give that a go first.
If wireless is still flaky though, does anyone know who stocks the external grade Ethernet cable? I have a hole in the wall where the old tv aerial comes in and could probably use that to get the wire outside. Clipping it to pebble dash would be a pain though to get it to the first floor 'office'.

8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 27-Aug-14 08:32:54
Print Post

I've bought a kit in homebase before so could try there.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Aug-14 09:34:49
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/17790-broad...

Sell it by the meter without the ends on, so easy to get the length you need.

Page also has the other bits you need, i.e. ideal way is to terminate at a wall socket at each end, and then just use a short patch cable inside the property.

Standard User AndrewGEssex
(newbie) Wed 17-Sep-14 20:49:11
Print Post

Have you considered using a power line adapter device that uses the electrical wire in the home to get a better connection upstairs this way you could get either a physical connection upstairs for better all round speed OR at least have a way to connect a wireless access point IF you must stay wire free and on the move with your devices?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to