User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheEulerID
(learned) Thu 09-Oct-14 09:53:17
Print Post

Virgin Media power cabinet open to the rain

[link to this post]

Does anybody know how rapidly Virgin Media respond to online reports of cabinet problems? There is a phone number available, but as VM don't see fit to make it a toll-free number, I'm not sure how seriously they take this stuff.

I've reported that the doors on both cabinets near my house are hanging off (one completely). A common sight around time I might add. However, this one is more concerning as it's clearly a power cabinet with mains. Much of the equipment inside it is clearly not designed for external use. I rather think that switched mode power supply won't like the forecast rain. The entire cabinet is rather shoddy, with some electrical fittings I'd be reluctant to have in my house.

I've yet to have even an automated response from VM. I'm also surprised that there is no active cabinet integrity monitoring, at least for things like power cabinets, which are clearly critical items with an obvious safety element. (I believe OpenReach cabinets do have integrity monitoring).

I'll see if VM pick this up. I think they might take rather more notice if rain gets into that switched mode power supply.

VM power cabinet - with autumn leaves.
Standard User TheEulerID
(learned) Thu 09-Oct-14 10:40:06
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media power cabinet open to the rain

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

As it's just started pouring with rain I've gone and put the door back on and wrapped some duct tape round the cabinet to hold it on. I hope VM appreciate me going out and getting wet doing this...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:14:35
Print Post

Try a tweet to a VM account - doors off the cable cabs is common but to have indoor mains open to elements is not good.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:44:34
Print Post

I've reported out cabinet as even though it's under some bushes it still gets wet. I did the same as you with black duct tape.

I don't know if there is anything electrical in there but our service is not affected by the rain it gets
Standard User TheEulerID
(learned) Thu 09-Oct-14 18:41:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Still no response. However, ironically, VM have chosen today to drop one of their bits of junk mail through my letterbox. To be fair, they are relatively rare these days. Maybe only once a month. At one time they managed two drops a week.

Maybe I'll try that twitter account. Of possibly see how long my duct tape fix works.It's noticable that most of the open cabinets I see (I passed three today) contain what I assume at the fibre/coax nodes, and they seem to be fairly robust. Die-cast assemblies which look like they laugh at a bit of rain (although some contain IDC knock-down blocks, which I assume are for phone - they don't look so good). A few cabinets aren't open, but they have rust-holes in the manner of a 1970s Vauxhall Viva.

As any home owner knows, if you don't keep up on maintenance, life gets very expensive.
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 19:38:53
Print Post

Well an engineer was across the road today. When he was done I approached him, said I had no reply from VM over it and asked if he could secure it - only to be told it was nothing to do with him.

Which was odd. Does he never go to these things when installing people?
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 11-Oct-14 08:50:30
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

He probably does but he probably doesn't have the gear needed to fix it

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User japitts
(newbie) Sat 11-Oct-14 13:14:56
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

http://tinyurl.com/pa2u6e3 has a landline number and link to the online form.
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Oct-14 13:56:54
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I'd hope he does seeing as all he has to do is push the guts back in and lock it.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sun 12-Oct-14 10:42:46
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

The doors fallen off though in this post though. To be honest though its Virgin and most of their engineers couldn't give a damn about doing their primary job properly.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps

Edited by brandscill (Sun 12-Oct-14 10:44:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to