User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Oct-14 14:29:45
Print Post

Virgin letter re unused email address

[link to this post]

A friend has shown me a letter he's received from Virgin about an email address that he hasn't used for >180 days. If it's not accessed by 3rd November it'll be suspended, and after 60 days deleted. I know this is in line with Virgin's AUP.

The odd thing is it's not his normal email address. It's of the form [2-letters, his initials][3 digits][letter s][4 digits]@ntlworld.com

He's been with Virgin for around 7 years and has used his normal ntlworld.com email address all that time. He's not aware of any other ntlworld email address.

Clearly he can just ignore the letter and let the mail box die. But he's curious to know what it is and what, if anything, may be in it.

Any suggestions where it may have come from? Is it perhaps the original email address before a more personalised one was created?

He's no idea of what the password is, I've suggested he go back to the original paperwork to see if there's any reference to this address. I guess he can try to login via web mail, and go through the forgotten password procedure.

Thanks

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User krands
(learned) Sat 18-Oct-14 11:46:39
Print Post

Re: Virgin letter re unused email address

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Any suggestions where it may have come from? Is it perhaps the original email address before a more personalised one was created?

That sounds about right. We have a Blueyonder email address which is in the exact same format (initials, 3 numbers, letter, 4 numbers). I believe that was just the automatically asigned address we were given when joining Virgin. I never bothered personalising it and only ever used it as the address for my account on the Virgin support forum.
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Oct-14 18:19:59
Print Post

[re: krands] [link to this post]

Presumably you were given the password at the time you joined Virgin?

I'll have to get my friend to root through his paperwork, he's normally very good at keeping records (retired PC, at one time was the station's criminal records officer wink)

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User krands
(regular) Sun 19-Oct-14 16:22:30
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I just looked through some old documents and found the letter we got when we registered. There was a little 'card' in the corner of the letter with our details, including "Internet username" (which serves as the first part of the email address we've mentioned in this thread) and a randomly generated "internet password". It didn't actually specify anything about an email address though and I seem to remember being confused when trying to login to the email account. Eventually I must have worked out to use the internet username for the first part of the address, with @blueyonder.co.uk (rather than @virginmedia.com) as the second part of it.

I must have changed the password to something more memorable at some point - as it's not the same as the one on the letter - but I never chose an alias for the email address, so it was just left as that default internetusername@blueyonder.co.uk

Hopefully your friend can find his registration letter!
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Oct-14 17:27:04
Print Post

[re: krands] [link to this post]

Thanks.

If he can't find his registration letter he should be able to go through the lost password procedure.

He's curious to know what, if any, emails are there.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to