User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User newuser123
(newbie) Mon 03-Nov-14 18:19:36
Print Post

Virgin media "Dynamic ip" really are static

[link to this post]

Hello , i am with Virgin Media broadband and recently been a victim of ddos attacks some range for 10 mins most longer (hours) , with others isp you just reboot the modem and you get a new ip but with virgin media i dont , what can i do / say to virgin media to make my ip change by restarting it
thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 21:46:08
Print Post

Re: Virgin media "Dynamic ip" really are static

[re: newuser123] [link to this post]

Have you reported the dos as rare to target a single user on a consumer isp. Might be affecting more people.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Moto
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Nov-14 07:42:45
Print Post

Virgin assign ip addresses according to the mac address of the routing device that connects to them. If you use a seperate modem and router, changing the router would change the ip address allocated to you. If you are using a combined modem/router you could provide your own cable router and put the virgin supplied modem/router into modem only mode.

laugh A friend surfing in laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 05-Nov-14 22:39:03
Print Post

If it's the superhub switching into modem more and back or visa versa should force a new IP

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 07-Nov-14 08:18:21
Print Post

actually they sticky.

one quick way to get a new ip is to toggle the superhub's modem mode., as that changes your mac.

Basically you need to keep your existing mac offline for long enough so the dhcp expires. Then when you recconect with your old mac it wont get the old ip.

Print Thread

Jump to