User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Mon 10-Nov-14 09:35:55
Print Post

Crawley Customer's Wanted!

[link to this post]

I'm currently looking for as many users of Virgin Media's Cable Broadband services in the Crawley, West Sussex area as possible.

The reason or this is to gather speed test and connection quality results as well as feedback to use as evidence against Virgin Media to push them to fix Utilisation and other Network issues faster as the last promised fix date of Wednesday 12th November 2014 has now seems to of been pushed back to Wednesday 18th February 2015.

If you are using Virgin Media services just outside of Crawley then please use this link to check if your on the Crawley network.

You will get a result similar to the following if you are:
Full Masked Host: cpcxx-crawx-x-x-cust***.croy.cable.virginm.net

uBR: crawx-x-x

x will be a number.

Regards.
Matt.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia Over-Utilized! Capacity Upgrades in Progress.
Changed IP and uBR Updated ST and BQM Links Coming Soon.

Edited by mlmclaren (Mon 10-Nov-14 09:40:59)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Nov-14 12:05:15
Print Post

Re: Crawley Customer's Wanted!

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

If they can run the tests on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html or http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest then we will be able to do the checking and aggregation into Virgin Media areas for you. e.g.

We now split out the cable areas for the specific purpose you want, so results for each month are available shortly after the start of each month, and can compare with other areas.

Jul 2014 Median 45.4 Mbps
Aug 2014 Median 50.1 Mbps
Sept 2014 Median 29.7 Mbps
Oct 2014 Median 37.4 Mbps

Volume is such that you cannot be sure of the figures, but looking above the Virgin Media National result so far.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Mon 10-Nov-14 12:36:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was going to recommend using both TBB and Ooklas test sites.

So you could pull results for just RH postcodes from TBB Speed test separately to Virgin on a whole, this would help against Virgin though its more about getting more customers complaining about the time its taking.

Virgin have already said they know theres an issue and everyone is running slow.

I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia Over-Utilized! Fix Delayed Until 18th February 2015

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Nov-14 13:26:36
Print Post

We look at Virgin tests and analyse the reverse DNS to decide which cable area the test was done in. Postcodes are still needed to increase our confidence and for the map plotting of course.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Mon 10-Nov-14 14:45:19
Print Post

So do you have figures there currently to say what the average download and upload speeds in Crawley RH11 are?

I've just setup a group called The Crawling Crawley Project and plan to get as many customers as possible to air their views and post supporting evidence (speedtests, BQM's)

Hopefully it will just be a community post for people to have a rant and give Virgin a headache all the way to the end, at which point confirm everything is well and delete the whole thing.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Nov-14 22:18:16
Print Post

We do and will post in morning, sample size at the low confidence end

Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Tue 11-Nov-14 09:47:31
Print Post

OK cheers.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Nov-14 10:18:10
Print Post

Two images, one for those who gave a postcode and host also links to Crawley. Inconclusive proof of a dip in speeds, mainly down to variation in numbers of people testing and varying products. Nationally though the trend is visible and is a repeatable pattern. The big increase in 2014 is real and fits in exactly with the roll-out of the latest upgrades but looks like after a spike usage has grown on the network and congestion is kicking in.

Speeds in Crawley with Virgin National Speeds with Virgin

Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Tue 11-Nov-14 10:25:03
Print Post

Thanks for that, so basically Virgin has give everyone the huge boost of speed and then the network has a kicking because of it, and issues I'm seeing are being repeated across UK just that Crawley is one of the worst affected networks.

Well can kind of understand why they are dragging there heels then if its happening everywhere.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Nov-14 23:20:37
Print Post

You share cable bandwidth with an area of probably no more than 500 homes just FYI, not the whole of Crawley.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to