User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(member) Fri 14-Nov-14 21:51:40
Print Post

Upload/FTP question

[link to this post]

I do a lot of uploads for radio, basically the presenter shows that are submitted, I do the final production, add in station ID's and upload to the server for broadcast.

The FTP speed is only 1.20Mbps, which means a three hour long show (414Mb) takes an hour. If I send the same file to my own webspace in Telehouse it's going at 3.40Mbps and takes about 18 minutes. Heck of a difference.

I'm on VM's 50/3 broadband. My guess is that even if I upgraded to 100/5 or whatever it is, I wouldn't get any faster FTP speed to that server, it's maxed out at 1.20Mbps ? However, my own webspace may be able to accept a higher speed as 3.40Mbps is probably as fast as it will go on the speeds I currently have.

The radio server is in Germany, from what i can tell. They say they've got mega speeds and it's a bottleneck with my ISP. I know that the 50Mbps BB was supposed to get 5Mbps upload speed, but that seems to have been long forgotten. I'm trying to figure out if I need to hassle VM for the 5Mbps upload or if I'd have to upgrade, or - as I suspect - it won't make any difference.

I've tried these uploads at all times of day and night, no difference. I'm on a VM SH2 with a short cable to my PC which reports a 1.Gbps connection. The PC is fairly new and a decent spec, if it was the same speed to Telehouse then I'd be more worried, but it shows that my end isn't the issue I guess.

Thoughts? Without suggesting changing ISP's please.

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Nov-14 23:06:23
Print Post

Re: Upload/FTP question

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Congested links leaving VM but would expect that to vary over course of the day.

What speeds are the various speedtesters saying for uploads?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Nov-14 23:19:33
Print Post

Why not upload from your web space to the server?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Fri 14-Nov-14 23:27:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I wouldn't know how... frown

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Standard User TMCR
(member) Fri 14-Nov-14 23:30:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Congested links leaving VM but would expect that to vary over course of the day.

What speeds are the various speedtesters saying for uploads?

It's the same no matter what time of day or night.

The speedtest here is usually like this
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
- again, pretty consistant day or night

Baffling me...

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 15-Nov-14 08:26:18
Print Post

Those on the 50 package don't get 5mbps upload they get 3mbps so you're getting what's expected.

Packages are

50/3
100/6
150/12

Hope this helps

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User TMCR
(member) Sat 15-Nov-14 11:53:04
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Those on the 50 package don't get 5mbps upload they get 3mbps so you're getting what's expected.

Packages are

50/3
100/6
150/12

Hope this helps

When they were pushing the speed boost it was supposed to go to 5Mbps upload on a 50Meg package, VM have 'forgotten' about it and removed all reference to upload speed. It may be what's expected but isn't what was promoted a year ago...frown

But, that's not the real issue. the slow FTP speed is. If I can FTP to my own webspace at 3 times the speed I'm FTP-ing the same files to a server then I just want to figure out if an upgrade to the next level would do anything, I have a feeling the answer is no. While the potential speed would double to 6Mbps, the bottleneck in the network would probably still only give me the same 1.2Mbps throughput.

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Nov-14 14:08:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:

Grab a laptop, go to a WiFi spot (e.g. Starbucks, Costa, or a pub with O2 or Cloud wifi) and try uploading to the server from there. Or get a 4G service (e.g. EE) with faster upload. Or a friends house on a FTTC service which generally have higher upload than cable.

Any of these would test to see if the speed limit is your connection or the server. I'm guessing the limit will be the server at the other end - as your connection to Telehouse is faster.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User TMCR
(member) Sun 16-Nov-14 14:30:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Grab a laptop, go to a WiFi spot (e.g. Starbucks, Costa, or a pub with O2 or Cloud wifi) and try uploading to the server from there. Or get a 4G service (e.g. EE) with faster upload. Or a friends house on a FTTC service which generally have higher upload than cable.

Any of these would test to see if the speed limit is your connection or the server. I'm guessing the limit will be the server at the other end - as your connection to Telehouse is faster.

Not that good to me as I'm doing this on a voluntary basis, I'm disabled and on a pension so buying in services or even going out with a laptop are not options I'm afraid.

Tests have been done by other people and it's a mixed bag of results, some get better than others, those on VM are just as slow as I am, indicating some sort of bottleneck from Virgin to some parts of the world.

That figures. In the end it has to be my home connection that does the uploading. I'll rattle Virgin's cage but don't think I'll get anywhere.

Virgin Cable (50/3)
Standard User mlmclaren
(committed) Mon 17-Nov-14 13:02:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Not that good to me as I'm doing this on a voluntary basis, I'm disabled and on a pension so buying in services or even going out with a laptop are not options I'm afraid.

Tests have been done by other people and it's a mixed bag of results, some get better than others, those on VM are just as slow as I am, indicating some sort of bottleneck from Virgin to some parts of the world.

That figures. In the end it has to be my home connection that does the uploading. I'll rattle Virgin's cage but don't think I'll get anywhere.

itís VM and not their server? Iíve had this since day 1 on VM as you know they rate limit FTP

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia Over-Utilized! Fix Delayed Until 18th February 2015
Changed IP and uBR Updated ST and BQM Links Coming Soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to