User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Jan-15 17:15:38
Print Post

Emails from ntlworld email address disappearing

[link to this post]

Last Autumn I had a problem with emails sent to my normal email address from people with @ntlworld.com email addresses. All other emails from a variety of addresses got through without problem, only those from ntlworld.com addresses disappeared. The senders didn't get a non-delivery report, it just seemed that somethijng somewhere black-holed them. I checked spam mail boxes, nothing.

So for a while I got them to send me the emails to a gmail address I have and that worked. After a few weeks the emails direct to me started to get through so things were back to normal.

In the past few days it seems to have started happening again. Emails from ntlworld.com addresses are disappearing, no NDR. All other emails are getting through, and emails from me to ntlworld.com addresses are getting through.

Any idea what may be happening?

Any thoughts on how I can progress this?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User biffs
(member) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:29:08
Print Post

Re: Emails from ntlworld email address disappearing

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Interesting - exactly the same symptoms here, except it's stuff from my wife's virginmedia.com address to my bXXXXXX.net account that isn't getting through .. possibly a similar circumstance..?

Bill
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Jan-15 21:43:59
Print Post

[re: biffs] [link to this post]

I registered on the Virgin forum (don't need to be a customer) and It seems that the various Virgin smtp servers, whether ntlworld, virginmedia or whatever, are actually the same server(s) and IP address(s).

The forum threads raise strong suggestions that for whatever reasons these servers and being blacklisted (or blocklisted?) which means that emails from them don't get through.

The trouble is that in many cases no bounce back message is generated so the sender is unaware of the non-delivery.

How to get that fixed is another issue altogether. I'd have thought the Virgin mail team should be on the case, but...

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User biffs
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 16:25:21
Print Post

Indeed.

As a result of reading your post I've just changed the smtp server for my wife's account to the one I pay for from 1&1, and messages are coming through straight away. Thanks.

Bill
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Jan-15 18:21:53
Print Post

[re: biffs] [link to this post]

I'm glad to have been of help smile

However that's worrying. I have a number of friends who are on Virgin email servers, I can't, nor should I, get all of them to change their SMTP servers.

Virgin really do need to sort it out.

Tony
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Jan-15 12:34:07
Print Post

Thought I'd post an update.

As I've had a couple of emails from Virgin media friends get through to my regular mail box in the past 24 hours I extracted the header information and forwarded it to mail.com tech. support. They've come back with
Our IT department has checked the Extended Header Information you sent us.
Apparently, there are lots of spam mails coming from the virginmedia mail servers.
Due to these spam mails, our mail servers may temporarily block mails which have been sent from these virginmedia servers.
This results in a delay or even non-delivery of mails.
Please note that this is not an issue of yours, but rather of the mail provider you try to send from.
Please contact them and inform them about the excessive sending of spam mails to mail.com from their servers so they can fix this problem.
After taking care of these spammers, your mails should go through normally.
Your cooperation in this matter is highly appreciated.
I've posted this on the Virgin Community forum, not sure what, if anything, more I can do.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to