User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Tue 06-Jan-15 00:44:51
Print Post

Latency Question?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys

Right I noticed some latency issues over the last few days and after having a look have found that the latency on my connection and my ubr

I include some shots of the cmts graph over the week and my connection,

CMTS Graph
My Connection

On the CMTS graph I've noticed it risen by around 4ms and I'm not too sure about the BQM but I have noticed the lag in online gaming has become a lot more noticeable since around the same time this change happened.

Now in the past the latency on this CMTS has been at this level but it was reduced to 7ms, so have they put it back up because of the utilisation issues which they are supposedly fixing.

If this is there way of fixing it, I think its a pretty bad one.

Any answers to why this has been done!

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 - BQM - SpeedTest

Edited by mlmclaren (Tue 06-Jan-15 00:55:36)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Jan-15 14:31:09
Print Post

Re: Latency Question?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Are you saying your latency went from 7ms to 11ms?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Tue 06-Jan-15 14:51:52
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Well my ubr (craw06) did yes, my connection "minimum" latency went up by 3ms

VirginMedia 152/12 - BQM - SpeedTest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 13-Jan-15 16:53:54
Print Post

My latency varies all the time, seems cable isn't as stable as vdsl2 that I had before.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Tue 13-Jan-15 17:31:12
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

From what I've found it seems Virgin decided to raise latency at some of its busy or over-utilized CMTS locations around the UK,

I'm not sure whether this is to correct errors and stabilise the network or to lift the pressure on the networks to allow them to perform better.

Either way its had a knock on affect on the minimum latency on my graph that has gone from 14ms to 17ms, before it was 13ms.

However connections I monitor for family members back in Birmingham have had their latency reduced by 1/2ms and that has also reflected on their monitors and they now show a minimum latency of 12ms.

I've had enough anyway and awaiting a call from Zen's sales team to decide the best package for me.

After many years of being a Virgin customer and putting up with their nonsense I finally have an alternative technology to go to and from "brief" tests seems to kick (donkey like behinds) in the stability and reliability department.

Since I raised this issue over on their forums I have been getting the cold shoulder regarding it and with them now saying that the latest estimated fix date has been pulled and no new one has yet been dreamed up by the folks at virgin networks, I've just give up, I've also been told that even after the last bunch of downstream channels that where applied to the network it now seems that more are required...

It's been nearly 2 years now, so it may never end, or not completely anyway.

VirginMedia 152/12 OVERUTILIZED - BQM - SpeedTest
Plusnet 3599/864 - BQM - SpeedTest
FTTC Coming Soon!
Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Wed 14-Jan-15 09:57:43
Print Post

From your posts over on the VM community I think they'll be glad to see you go. Anyone who complains about a couple of milliseconds of latency and sub 10 ms jitter is just a PITA that they be glad to get rid of.

Since no publicly available games or VOIP services would notice or show any effects from these levels of latency and jitter you are obviously running some very poorly written bespoke software that is affected. Therefore I would suggest you look into buying dedicated fibre links between your sites rather than trying to use any consumer broadband product.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:09:52
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

The jitter would vary from 4ms - 47ms and the affected platform was XBOX..

Anyway I'm not getting into it on here as well, You guys obviously go on the figures I have supplied but I can't give you the experience and true affect it is having.

The figure don't look bad, I know that, or most ADSL users would be screwed but I assure you theirs an issue locally beside the utilisation issues and I'm almost sure Virgin must be laughing about it as its hard to prove.

Also what Virgin fails to see is that its not just me leaving, its at minimum 7 accounts and around 16 at max and 5 accounts I know of are top tier packages with all the trimmings, all these accounts have got in writing that they may leave either due to price increase or the utilisation fault.

PS. My complaining about a few milliseconds jitter may be "pathetic" in your eyes but it follows poor customer support, lack of information, ignorant in home support and absolutely no respect for their customers property.

You may like Virgin Media or you might just be restricted to only them due to a lack of alternative infrastructure, but please don't try and make out like I'm the bad guy, I'm the guy who's had enough of [censored] customer service and people being treated like dog [censored] shoe's.

FTTC Coming Soon!

Edited by mlmclaren (Wed 14-Jan-15 10:13:24)

Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:47:24
Print Post

Oh don't get me wrong, VM have a lot of problems: poor turnaround time for overutilisation; poor equipment (Superduds); poor customer services, though forum is generally better than phone support; poor roll-out/investment in CDN nodes; YouTube buffering issues; the list goes on.

I'm lucky that I do actually live in a largely under-utilised area and get good service most of the time - if I didn't I'd be off too (now that FTTC is available to me).

However, your complaint just doesn't add up, sorry but that's the facts. If you are having problems gaming on the Xbox then check your internal wiring first, then check your modem mode superhub is not having line issues, perhaps try a better router, or even bypass the router. From everything you have reported, latency/jitter/routing is not your problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 10:58:39
Print Post

Area concerned appears to have high utilisation and very poor peak time performance.

Virgin Media speeds peaked in 2014 some months after the last wave of upgrades started, then seemed to dip, probably showing the roll-out and then once roll-out completed the subsequent utilisation that pushed some areas to the limit,

Annual speed upgrades and capacity uplifts appear the usual pattern now at Virgin Media.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 14-Jan-15 11:05:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
However, your complaint just doesn't add up, sorry but that's the facts. If you are having problems gaming on the Xbox then check your internal wiring first, then check your modem mode superhub is not having line issues, perhaps try a better router, or even bypass the router. From everything you have reported, latency/jitter/routing is not your problem.

I know they don't add up and I assure you I've tested everything you have listed and even my internal networking equipment, I've switched the the new SH2ac I had as a replacement since this problem started to and from Modem Mode, and direct connection of xbox to the modem and SH router mode also..

The only definite thing I can say on the matter is that the problems started on the day that the latency on my CMTS increased by 4ms and that passed on a 3ms increase to all my BQM's, my other connections back in Birmingham (Kings Norton CMTS 9 & 10) have shown no increase and before the new year actually had the latency decreased from 7ms to 6ms.

My main gripe with Virgin has been the issues you've mentioned and the disregard for customers oppinions and in 1 case a repair suggestion a technician ignored and then was later found to be correct by another technician.

I'm not saying any other ISP is going to be different, but the fact is Virgin have got worse since Liberty Global takeover and now even less is getting done and even staff in certain departments at Virgin aren't happy with the new owners or management.

Too much cutting costs and boosting profits... They need regulating like the electric companies, I'm sure if my electric was intermittent at peak times I would at least get a f******* letter regarding it.

I've been relaying the information from Virgin Media to the local residents and most questions I ask are their questions and now they grow angry because I'm not getting a reply and can't tell them anything, the only information I have for them now is call cancellations and say balls to anymore discounts and credits.

FTTC Coming Soon!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to