User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 16-Jan-15 07:27:24
Print Post

Router in modem mode

[link to this post]

Decided to rent a office for my consulting activities but with no FTTC available and an awful ADSL speed at the premises, I was obliged to run with VMs business product which would provide me with a 60/5 service.

The VM service has now been installed prior to my move in date as the installation engineer was allowed access to the room I will be renting. It wasn't necessary for me to be on site for the installation but I spoke to the installation engineer over the telephone as he was about to leave and was advised everything was ready to go using VMs "super hub". At this point he could give me fixed IP address and new telephone number.

When I mention that my plan was to use the "super hub" in modem mode coupled with my Draytek 2830vn he said that this wouldn't be possible because modem mode was not available anymore on their "super hub". Is this really true because I will be somewhat snookered if that was indeed the case. He rabbited on about me having to use a different router but could not say what it should be.

Maybe he is right in what he says and maybe not. Any observation and thoughts from TBB readers on this please?

I am pretty sure I know how to put VMs router into modem mode and the necessary configuration requirements of the Draytek router to accept the service on the WAN port but if there is any reference material on the web that I could fall back on as a check list, this would be useful. Better still feedback from someone who has already done what I plan to do.
Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Fri 16-Jan-15 09:44:06
Print Post

Re: Router in modem mode

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I think it is true, the SuperHub you get for a business connection is not the same one that you get for a consumer connection. The business SuperHub doesn't have a modem mode but you can still disable the wireless, firewall, etc. and plug your own router into it if you want. The only downside will be that your own router will not be directly visible on the net.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Jan-15 09:47:55
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

If it is a block of static IP addresses rather than a single then should be easy enough to allocate an IP to a secondary router to provide the NAT services.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User omnius
(member) Fri 16-Jan-15 10:59:48
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

It looks like they have a modem only package would that not be better for you?

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/Customer-area/H...

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/Documents/epack...

I also find it interesting that the setup guide for the business superhub2ac has a picture of the the back of it with one port labled "modem mode"...... guess you would have to get there highest package to get what you need.

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/PageFiles/5537/... (page 21)

Edited by omnius (Fri 16-Jan-15 11:10:27)

Standard User Moto
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Jan-15 00:38:00
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/PageFiles/5537/... page 7

"you are currently in router mode. To change to modem mode go to the Super Hub settings section"

Perhaps the problem is VM have allocated an IP address to the mac address of the superhub. If he uses modem mode he will get another IP address. However if he were to clone the superhub's mac address on his own router?
It is easier to tell a customer 'no it cannot be done' than explaining the technicalities.

laugh A friend surfing in laugh
  Print Thread

Jump to