User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User phookoo
(learned) Sat 14-Feb-15 08:27:01
Print Post

Joining VM reluctantly - couple of questions :)

[link to this post]

Hi folks

I've been a long time lurker and checker of info on the site, which has taken me from a frankly disgusting experience with Talk Talk (don't even get me started - had to write to the CEO to get out of that contract) to BT, then to Zen, then to Be and currently to BT Infinity. I've been very happy nearly the whole time thanks to tips and info from this site and these forums, so I'm calling on you now in a time of need smile

I've been living in fairly central parts of Plymouth for years now, but now my family's grown to another baby, I'm having to move out to the suburbs (Plympton if anyone knows it) to get more space. That means that my broadband supplier options are a lot more limited. I've gotten used to about 7.5 Mbps downloads with my BT Infinity connection and don't want to lose the speed, so VM is my only current option.

I'm a pretty constant but not extreme newsgroup user and I've heard of throttling on their network - any more info on that? Also, how are they for flexibility when installing/neatness etc? And how is the general reliability of VM? I'm not that bothered about the TV side of things and I'd go with Infinity if it was available, so I'd just like to know what I'm in for. Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Feb-15 10:17:13
Print Post

Re: Joining VM reluctantly - couple of questions :)

[re: phookoo] [link to this post]

When you say 7.5 you mean 7.5 Mega Bytes per second?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User phookoo
(learned) Sat 14-Feb-15 10:48:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep, so about a 60 megabit download speed. I should probably add that I'm thinking of signing up for the 100mb VM service.

Edited by phookoo (Sat 14-Feb-15 10:50:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pedrostech
(newbie) Sat 14-Feb-15 11:09:34
Print Post

Experience varies a LOT in my experience. Some people get the speeds they ordered pretty much the whole time. Others speeds' drop to the 20mbps (bits) mark during periods of high use on their nodes eg if there's a lot of very high users on your road/town, expect slower speeds.

Virgin's current traffic management only affects upload speeds. http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic...

Edited by Pedrostech (Sat 14-Feb-15 11:13:18)

Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Sat 14-Feb-15 11:26:44
Print Post

[re: Pedrostech] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pedrostech:
Experience varies a LOT in my experience. Some people get the speeds they ordered pretty much the whole time. Others speeds' drop to the 20mbps (bits) mark during periods of high use on their nodes eg if there's a lot of very high users on your road/town, expect slower speeds.

Virgin's current traffic management only affects upload speeds. http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic...

Concur with that - I suggest you try to speak with some VM users in your new area.

I'm with VM at present on 100Mb/s and speeds are OK even at peak. I have no problem with streaming, games, browsing or reliability. Whilst download speed tests at peak show 107Mb/s, actual download speeds (single thread) are typically 30Mb/s. The ThinkBroadband speed test is a good measure of this effect.

Note that upload speed is only 6Mb/s on VM 100Mb/s so I guess a lot less than you have now.

Edited by Eeeps (Sat 14-Feb-15 11:28:05)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Feb-15 14:17:22
Print Post

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Eeeps:
Whilst download speed tests at peak show 107Mb/s, actual download speeds (single thread) are typically 30Mb/s. The ThinkBroadband speed test is a good measure of this effect.
FYI that's something I would consider to be a fault or at least a poor service. I would never recommend an ISP that showed a significant disparity between single and multi-threaded downloads. My own ISP - Plusnet - is having a few issues at the moment but even so this is what I get at peak time:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14227...

The worst I've seen is this:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14223...

Multi-threaded downloading is a bit more efficient but that shouldn't account for more than a couple of percentage points faster. What you have described sounds like an ISP that is protecting its network by throttling on a per-thread basis. A bit like a restaurant operating an 'all you can eat' service then only providing small plates.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 14-Feb-15 19:03:35)

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-Feb-15 14:51:12
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

"A bit like a restaurant operating an 'all you can eat' service then only providing small plates. "

Absolutely true at Flavours in Oldbury but if you had a big plate and filled it up to start with then how do you eat the second plateful?

Small plate and many trips to sample many different foods is the better way to go!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Sun 15-Feb-15 15:42:09
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by Eeeps:
Whilst download speed tests at peak show 107Mb/s, actual download speeds (single thread) are typically 30Mb/s. The ThinkBroadband speed test is a good measure of this effect.
FYI that's something I would consider to be a fault or at least a poor service. I would never recommend an ISP that showed a significant disparity between single and multi-threaded downloads. My own ISP - Plusnet - is having a few issues at the moment but even so this is what I get at peak time:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14227...

The worst I've seen is this:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14223...

Multi-threaded downloading is a bit more efficient but that shouldn't account for more than a couple of percentage points faster. What you have described sounds like an ISP that is protecting its network by throttling on a per-thread basis. A bit like a restaurant operating an 'all you can eat' service then only providing small plates.

This is what I get early morning.

This is what I typically get in an evening.

Interestingly, even at peak times the ping jitter stays quite low.

I think VM implement some sort of packet priority scheme on a CPE IP port basis. Low rate packets being prioritised over high rate streams.
Standard User bernado
(regular) Sun 15-Feb-15 19:35:05
Print Post

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

I too am also considering the 100 meg service as with the current deal it'll cost the same as my Xilo 20 meg TTB LLU service. There's nothing wrong with my current connection in fact it's been very reliable, but now my kids are using a significant chunk of the bandwidth together with the low upload speed of 0.7 meg, I am tempted.

I can't help thinking I might regret it, goodness knows what the customer service would be like compared to Xilo's which is excellent.

Any comments of reassurance or words of warning?

Edited by bernado (Sun 15-Feb-15 19:59:09)

Standard User Hamster1962
(newbie) Sun 15-Feb-15 20:02:32
Print Post

As I've said before on here, I changed to 152MB Virgin last August, came from a pretty crummy BT 9MB.

Never regret it for one minute.

H
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to