User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jimbo1999
(newbie) Fri 21-Aug-15 14:01:08
Print Post

SH2, disconnections and Modem Mode

[link to this post]

Hello,

I've been struggling with VM for a few months now. We recently setup a satellite office and the boss got Virgin business broadband installed which came with a Superhub 2. We want a VPN between the two offices so I thought I'd put the Superhub into modem mode, hook up a Cisco ASA 5505 and configure the routing to get the internet working, then get the VPN set up after that.

We started with a single fixed IP, but every time we used Modem Mode (even when hooking to a computer instead of the Cisco) we couldn't connect to the internet. It looked like the IP was assigned via DHCP, but the internet wouldn't connect. Multiple calls to VM told us that Modem Mode didn't work, and that the Cisco was incompatible with a single-IP setup.

Instead, we went for the 5-IP package, set the Superhub to non-NAT mode, turned off the Superhub firewall and configured the Cisco with the first static IP in the range and the Superhub's IP as the gateway. All seemed well, we could connect to the internet and the VPN was fine.

Until we started getting random loss of internet connection, which could only be resolved by manually rebooting the Superhub. VM tell me it's a known issue but a fix will be months away and would involve installing a second device alongside the superhub. Has anyone else experienced this?

They also told me that modem mode can work and would probably fix the disconnections, but it isn't officially supported by VM and you need to configure the router to authenticate on VMs network using L2TP (which is what I wasn't doing before). Has anyone successfully got this to work? My knowledge of Cisco's isn't brilliant, but I'm thinking I'd need to set up a tunnel to authenticate and route all external through that?

If anyone's managed to set this up and can offer any pointers at all I'd be very grateful, as I'm very close to telling the boss to stuff the VM line and get in a proper business broadband provider.

James
Standard User fguk
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:38:45
Print Post

Re: SH2, disconnections and Modem Mode

[re: jimbo1999] [link to this post]

Are you sure you have a SuperHub 2?

I haven't bothered in a while (because of all of the issues you mention) but last time I looked Superhub 2`s didn't come with fixed IP`s.

Have a look round on this forum and cableforum, I think you will find the information you need.

In our case we had a superhub 1 with the 50Mb service, 5 IP`s and configured it with a Draytek 3900 router much like you will of done. This unfortunately still left the superhub1 as the most unreliable bit of kit, and we eventually swapped to the 150Mb service and no fixed IP. We now use DDNS to get over the non fixed IP thing (but then we don't need to run VPN on this line so that is acceptable).

BT are changing the cabinet down the road to FTTC we think (they have been and surveyed and painted the road etc), and we are going to swap an existing ADSL line to that ASAP.
Standard User jimbo1999
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 14:59:29
Print Post

[re: fguk] [link to this post]

So I've checked, and we apparently have a Superhub 1. Don't know why I originally thought it was a 2.

Did you have the Superhub in Modem mode while connected to your Draytek, or did you use the hub's subnet functions to connect to the internet? If modem mode's just as unstable as the routed subnet, I might not bother trying to get it working. I've been following various threads, the most useful is this one. I'm going to have a play tonight and see if I can get it to work, I'm not holding my breath though.

VM rang to offer the 152mb service but as we need a fixed IP that won't work for us, hence why I want to get modem mode working to see if it improves things a bit.

James

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fguk
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 15:07:50
Print Post

We went the same route as you.

Put it into modem mode, struggle for a while to make it work, phoned up VM support, found out it was not supported, then moved to subnet configuration with 5x IP, but still found the VM router to be unreliable (which as you will know is a firmware issue). We waited for the mythical update to cure the issue with the SH1(over 6 months), or to make SuperHub 2 compatible with fixed IP`s, got neither so decided on the DDNS strategy.

As you say, fine for us, but not for you and VPN.
Standard User jimbo1999
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 15:29:27
Print Post

[re: fguk] [link to this post]

Thanks, although this is just confirming what I suspected - VM Business isn't worth the wires it's sent through and I should just tell them where to stick it and go find a decent ISP.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Mon 24-Aug-15 15:39:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimbo1999:
Thanks, although this is just confirming what I suspected - VM Business isn't worth the wires it's sent through and I should just tell them where to stick it and go find a decent ISP.

Have you thought about asking for the Superhub 2ac? Pretty stable and works in modem mode for me, however the residential service I have hasn't changed IP address for over 2 years.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Aug-15 16:02:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimbo1999:

Sounds like a plan to me..

Standard User jimbo1999
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 12:31:11
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

As far as I know the Superhub for residential broadband is a completely different device (or at least the firmware is) than for Business, and you can't get a guaranteed static IP on the residential service which we need for the VPN.
  Print Thread

Jump to