User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cscsonline
(learned) Thu 03-Sep-15 18:43:14
Print Post

Virgin Support

[link to this post]

I'm moving and had planned to sign up to Virgin Media.
However, I have had cause to call VM to change my installation
date and I have found their support absolutely terrible.
I have had to press choices in voicemail twice on every call as the first time invariably des take.
Then when you get through the person you speak is clueless.
Is this typical of their support?
I may just walk away from them and stay with Sky
Comments appreciated.

cscsonline on an MacBook Pro using
BT Infinity 2 76Mbps
using BT Home Hub 3 and Openreach VDSL modem
formerly on O2 Premium, Be Unlimited, Zen 8000 Active
BTBroadband
Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 03-Sep-15 19:24:28
Print Post

Re: Virgin Support

[re: cscsonline] [link to this post]

Yes it is typical, sorry. Virgin CS is all round terrible. Sky is not brilliant either if you actually have to call them but they have much better self-service options and almost everything else can be done via online chat instead of on the phone.

John.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Thu 03-Sep-15 21:09:06
Print Post

Based in Manilla.
useless
turn it off and on and then send out an engineer
Connection so slow (152) 5mbps ADSL blazed it.
Glad I left.

I only have SkyTV but I have found them to be much better

Edited by ZenUserJP (Thu 03-Sep-15 21:10:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Sep-15 23:33:34
Print Post

I would not recommend Virgin Media unless it is a choice between them or ADSL below 5Mb/s.

As mentioned, support is rather pooo via phone and twitter... they just refer you to online troubleshooting guides or read these out over the phone, and also might find some things that work very well on ADSL/VDSL might not work all too well on Virgin Media due to the method of connectivity to their network.

If you currently happy with the service you receive from Sky, I would stay with them, I have seen some good reviews of there broadband recently and my experiences of sky's broadband services have been and continue to be very good.

Hope this information serves you well smile

UPDATE: Thought I should mention that not all Virgin Media's support is oversea's but have found there Technical Support to be mostly overseas, billing and accounts are UK though!

Also service reliability and consistency will rely on your local networks capacity and usage,

I've currently got a couple of Virgin Media connections and they seem to fair well but the area they are in is notoriously a very good network with Virgin Media favouring it in some trials of faster services in the past and is currently being used in a trial of there new public hotspots features.

However I've also had services in an area of "over-utilisation" where speeds can go from 160Mb/s during the day to 2Mb/s in the evening and any usability of the connection after 5PM was impossible,

For the last 3 months of service from Virgin Media we was forced to rely on EE's 100GB Sim Card offers heavily.... and the fact that gaming online was far superior via a mobile network than a "Superfast fibre broadband" connection was interesting!

Edited by mlmclaren (Fri 04-Sep-15 11:18:14)

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Fri 04-Sep-15 02:23:51
Print Post

Well it's always good to get a different opinion i supose smile

i get full download/upload speed and a bit more nearly 247 here .

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

i called support yesterday to enquire about a package change and spoke to a really helpful chap in newcastle or at the least he had a newcastle accent lol

so yea bla bla bla i am sure some get issues with VM and i am sure some people call Manilla but if you call from 8am-8pm you will usually always get someone in one of the uk call centers.

but hey nothing in life is perfect .. so of course some people are going to have issues, but most don't.

have a great day. Darren ..

Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Sep-15 07:54:40
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Had a problem very recently . I use wireless in the house and have a super hub 1. I could 'see' my printer but my wireless signal was greyed out . I'd actually switched off the power to the extension block that the Superhub is attached to. I'd switched it back on instantly - but no joy frown Did all the usual things and just could not connect.

In my confusion could not remember the phone number to use [ and was dreading , being deaf , having problems with difficult accents] and ended up by ringing the 789 number. Lovely helpful guy who chuckled at my respond to 'how may I help you ?' which was " You can't but you will know a guy who can " . He put me through to Broadband and after a wait I got a very sympathetic UK accented guy who checked the obvious [ what had I tried ] and then started digging from his end - and in under 5 minutes he had it sorted for me. I then asked him about upgrading to a SH2 and was told not to bother yet because of some development being done.

Now I can't fault that sort of response - that was service

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 100 meg
Standard User Lithurge
(regular) Sat 05-Sep-15 11:47:20
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by djfunkdup:
so yea bla bla bla i am sure some get issues with VM and i am sure some people call Manilla but if you call from 8am-8pm you will usually always get someone in one of the uk call centers.

Like you I live in a low utilisation area, however there was a period where quite a lot of faults happened, every time I called or used the online chat during the afternoon it was overseas tech support.

Having said that I never had any issues with them and the faults were usually fixed within a couple of hours.

The one real issue I had was high noise on the up/downstream, with poor speeds, in that case after the usual troubleshooting on a single phone call they sent an engineer, who moved my connection in the cabinet which fixed the issue.

From my experience and reading various forums if you're in a low utilisation area support really isn't an issue. It only becomes an issue when there is high utilisation as VM seem to be poor at fixing that, i.e. building more capacity into the area.

Edited by Lithurge (Sat 05-Sep-15 11:48:04)

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:02:33
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
I then asked him about upgrading to a SH2 and was told not to bother yet because of some development being done.

Oooh, interesting... Does that mean the SH2 can't cope with the proposed faster speeds ?

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Tue 08-Sep-15 12:02:48
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
I then asked him about upgrading to a SH2 and was told not to bother yet because of some development being done.

Oooh, interesting... Does that mean the SH2 can't cope with the proposed faster speeds ?

I know there was a SH3 in testing and yes the Sh2 can do up to 400Mbps I think - but VM will no doubt use the SH3 as a way to lock people into new contracts. But that said you can also get out of it when the prices go up so that's not really a worry/bother
Standard User jb66
(committed) Tue 29-Sep-15 19:15:33
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

No, its because virign will try anything not to send out cpe which costs money
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to