User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 15:11:34
Print Post

Been having issues for last month and worst in last week

[link to this post]

Have been a member since January, apart from a few phone calls where there was a sound like someone blowing in the line and about 4 times where the internet dropped for 5 minutes or so after midnight and a single time when they said there was a fault in area that took a few hours (again after midnight) connection has been solid.

About a month ago noticed my connection wired to my hallway switch wasnt getting a ip address so everything connected to it didnt work but the cable did work if I removed it from switch and plugged it into one of my laptops, fixed it eventually by simpy moving an item of furniture near cable(no idea why that worked and no I dont think cable was damaged)

I went on a weeks trip to visit relatives and when I came back noticed connection kept slowing down, actual downstream was fast and I could P2P or update online games through their launchers (Steam worked at random though i.e sometimes got slower than dial up sometimes 1-2 meg whilst browsing stilll didnt work)

Browsing/streaming is the main problem, it just refuses to work, if you refresh it a few times you may get the clickable links at top of a page sometimes the page would work but the links would be invisible, and sometimes even stranger is some websites were no problems when 90% or more of others failed to load, seemed to be ones that had a proxy worked no issue.

Any ideas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Sep-15 15:49:18
Print Post

Re: Been having issues for last month and worst in last week

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

If you bypass the switch and have just one computer connected via Ethernet into the superhub what does a speedtest show e.g. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 16:02:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Had engineer out today, bit useless as he had no idea what to check and after about 30 minuntes of phoning about he told me something about a head fault. then said something else.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Sep-15 17:01:47
Print Post

Head sounds they think its an issue with the main network outside your own property, which is odd giving the issues you've seen, but then it maybe several things were going on at once.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 17:54:37
Print Post

Well they did say one of the actual engineers who lives 5 miles away had issues himself but his was constant rather than intermittent, and another person on same esate, and few within like a 10 mile radius

He said the ones with the issues were all connected to same something(might of been head) and rest of people in area who were connected to different ones had no problems.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Sep-15 18:11:58
Print Post

Head end is a term used within Virgin Media to describe a node where lots of peoples connections meet up for an area, and it is possible the issue is just bad congestion, i.e. too many people trying to do too much with the Internet. In theory over time Virgin Media does upgrade its network to reduce these problems.

(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 19:09:54
Print Post

Interesting but if that was the case why if I could get onto a website even at pre dial up speeds once the actual download started it maxed out the line and why P2P and the such was perfect.

Not had any issues today.

I did think congestion myself at one point as it seemed to die out around 12 every afternoon and get worse up to about 7pm, then get a little better till midnight when it dropped off again then ok again after about 3am.

But they did specifically say there was a actual fault rather than mention congestion
  Print Thread

Jump to