User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-15 10:36:35
Print Post

Will they run a cable?

[link to this post]

My next door neighbour has a VM cable run to their house (not in use). Its about 7ft from where I would want my cable running to. However i don't have a connection to my house as of yet. Will virgin run cable such short lengths for new customers?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Oct-15 10:51:50
Print Post

Re: Will they run a cable?

[re: LeonHerby] [link to this post]

Depends on what obstacles are in the way, but short runs that do not require new wayleave permissions should be fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 07-Oct-15 16:59:56
Print Post

Where we are, each house or pair of house has it's own mini manhole, a little triangular box in the ground near to the garden wall on the pavement where the main ducting runs.

VM usually run a cable from their cabinet down the road and bring it out of the ducting at this point, then make the short run to the house as close to a wall as they can, so it does not get dug up by accident when someone is weeding the garden or whatever.

They wouldn't connect to next door's bit of cable.

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-15 22:33:32
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Thanks both for your posts..

VM visited today and found a triangular box already with cables to it under a patch of weeds directly outside my house so I'm having everything installed tomorrow at 2pm.

Result.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:12:38
Print Post

sounds like a new omni and cable has been installed in the recent years then if it triangular, good luck with install smile
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:14:07
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
They wouldn't connect to next door's bit of cable.

Not if they where following there "guidelines" no but I've not seen many installs that have ever followed the guidelines correctly...
Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:28:08
Print Post

thats'a quick install i've had to wait 3 weeks in the past. Welcome to full speed in the middle of the night and 5mbps the rest of the time. As many of us have suffered before leaving them
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:38:44
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Will see how i get on and post some results..

Got full speed BT infinity 2 ATM running quite fast.. (79mb) downloads at 9MB pretty much anytime.

Will run the two side by side for a month before cancelling my BT service. Getting out of the 14 mth we have left on our contract due to price hikes.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:54:22
Print Post

With those results on BT I fear your making a "doodie" decision on trading that in for cable based service... regardless of the utilisation levels!
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:03:11
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Its also a cost thing too bt have put up prices on tv service, hd service, bt sport and line rental.. bills are always £72 without any calls being made.. can get VM for £36 a month for 200mb, tivo and channels as well as £220 quidco cashback....

EDIT ** £36 plus £16 line rental,,, so £52.... still £20 a month cheaper and £220 cashback..

Edited by LeonHerby (Thu 08-Oct-15 00:05:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to