User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-15 10:36:35
Print Post

Will they run a cable?

[link to this post]

My next door neighbour has a VM cable run to their house (not in use). Its about 7ft from where I would want my cable running to. However i don't have a connection to my house as of yet. Will virgin run cable such short lengths for new customers?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Oct-15 10:51:50
Print Post

Re: Will they run a cable?

[re: LeonHerby] [link to this post]

Depends on what obstacles are in the way, but short runs that do not require new wayleave permissions should be fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 07-Oct-15 16:59:56
Print Post

Where we are, each house or pair of house has it's own mini manhole, a little triangular box in the ground near to the garden wall on the pavement where the main ducting runs.

VM usually run a cable from their cabinet down the road and bring it out of the ducting at this point, then make the short run to the house as close to a wall as they can, so it does not get dug up by accident when someone is weeding the garden or whatever.

They wouldn't connect to next door's bit of cable.

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-15 22:33:32
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Thanks both for your posts..

VM visited today and found a triangular box already with cables to it under a patch of weeds directly outside my house so I'm having everything installed tomorrow at 2pm.

Result.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:12:38
Print Post

sounds like a new omni and cable has been installed in the recent years then if it triangular, good luck with install smile
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:14:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:
They wouldn't connect to next door's bit of cable.

Not if they where following there "guidelines" no but I've not seen many installs that have ever followed the guidelines correctly...
Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:28:08
Print Post

thats'a quick install i've had to wait 3 weeks in the past. Welcome to full speed in the middle of the night and 5mbps the rest of the time. As many of us have suffered before leaving them
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:38:44
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Will see how i get on and post some results..

Got full speed BT infinity 2 ATM running quite fast.. (79mb) downloads at 9MB pretty much anytime.

Will run the two side by side for a month before cancelling my BT service. Getting out of the 14 mth we have left on our contract due to price hikes.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Oct-15 23:54:22
Print Post

With those results on BT I fear your making a "doodie" decision on trading that in for cable based service... regardless of the utilisation levels!
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:03:11
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Its also a cost thing too bt have put up prices on tv service, hd service, bt sport and line rental.. bills are always £72 without any calls being made.. can get VM for £36 a month for 200mb, tivo and channels as well as £220 quidco cashback....

EDIT ** £36 plus £16 line rental,,, so £52.... still £20 a month cheaper and £220 cashback..

Edited by LeonHerby (Thu 08-Oct-15 00:05:23)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:06:24
Print Post

oh ok, I suppose it depends what is more important to you I suppose!

I and a couple of others here favour performance over cost,

I don't suppose you sought after Sky ?
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:10:35
Print Post

No again sky was much more expensive than BT by the time you add hd and then sky fibre2 or what ever the product is called.

Was offered a free tv and £150 cash back though..

ill give virgin a try.. hopefully im happy with it... i sonarr all my tv programs so they download as soon as available from the states about 3am so speed shouldnt be an issue..

Cheers for everyones help 5*****
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:15:35
Print Post

Fair enough, I feared as much... hope your as lucky as I am with my Virgin connections and are in a suitably capacitated area.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:20:49
Print Post

Bradford Cable did our street in the 90's and all the pavement openings are triangular... wink

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:25:33
Print Post

Oooh, well early newer than the installations I've experienced but yes fair enough!
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-15 00:27:32
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
Welcome to full speed in the middle of the night and 5mbps the rest of the time.

Depends where the OP lives, and if they've got good service there. I'm getting a pretty consistent service here, not everyone is complaining...

Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 09:34:49
Print Post

Hopefully we shall see at 2pm..

With it being only 3 days since I ordered I obviously haven't received any kit, will the virgin engineer bring it with him?

Also can I request that he run the cables in through the wall where I request rather than where the box will be on the outside of the house?
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-15 10:04:56
Print Post

VM engineers have the superhub's and TV boxes on the van, they' bring them on the day.

As for putting it where you want, depends on the engineer. A lot of them are friendly. wink If you've not had cable before he'll look at what you want and take it from there. Until they start the work there's no saying where the cable will be run outside, The box on the outside is only a cover for where the cable runs in through the wall.

Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 14:22:41
Print Post

May have jumped to gun a little on the installation..... Phil from VM was only coming around to do the order form now that they have decided that there is indeed a cable running to my house...

He is going to expedite the order so i should be up and running in the next 7 days...
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-15 18:31:41
Print Post

Don't worry about speeds too much wink .. i would say we are in peak time atm and still getting full download speed here : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

So keep the chin up wink

Edit: Why are the time stamps on the speedtests always an hr slow ? i just did that test and its an hr behind us wink

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Vivid200 (Standalone BroadBand Connection)

Edited by djfunkdup (Thu 08-Oct-15 18:34:21)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Oct-15 19:18:03
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Because we use GMT so no confusion when clocks change or international users use the test. Though if truly international we would say UTC rather than GMT on the image

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LeonHerby
(newbie) Thu 08-Oct-15 23:00:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Had a call from Phil at VM who came around to fill in all our forms. My services are getting installed on the 28th as its a two man job to run cables to my house from the cab even though the ducting (ground work) is already there.

So far excellent customer service from VM..
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-15 23:16:10
Print Post

Was having one of my Scooby Doo moments again earlier.i should have guessed that . l o l Thanks for replying wink

Vivid200 (Standalone BroadBand Connection)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Oct-15 23:21:08
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Thats OK I have plenty of those moments every day

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 08-Oct-15 23:26:45
Print Post

smile

Vivid200/12+Mbps (Standalone BroadBand Connection)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to