User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Nov-15 12:01:59
Print Post

Hub3

[link to this post]

So I read that Virgin's new "Hub3" will have increased channel locking capacity alongside the future DOCSIS 3.1 capability...

24x Downstream 8x Upstream Bonded Channels....

Seems to me that this could decrease the impact of congestion, increasing potential speeds by 3?

I will be looking to give this theory a test upon its release.

Any views? smile
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Nov-15 01:02:07
Print Post

Re: Hub3

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

It's not a 3.1 device and, yes, definitely the extra channels are beneficial even at the same % load per channel.

However to get this device you will at least at first be needing to order an upcoming 300Mb service. This is definitely coming as a business product, I do not know if a home version will be released however if it is the tier will be a standalone available for a supplement on bundle prices as the 100/10 service was.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Sat 07-Nov-15 01:02:37)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Nov-15 09:46:17
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

well we'll have to wait and see what happens I suppose, releasing this kit to Business only will be a bit stupid IMO... though I can fully understand Business getting first punt at it on the 300Mb/s...

I would expect that Virgin will roll these out of 200Mb/s services soon after as the service must be putting a strain on the network currently, and when auto upgrades finish the complaints will surely grow.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 08-Dec-15 17:27:16
Print Post

Just wondering about forthcoming services and devices, how do people get to trial these ?

I spoke to a retentions guy today and he'd no idea. I've been a customer 19 years now, since Bradford Cable laid the street ducting. Would be nice to be asked at least.

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Dec-15 12:45:21
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

You apply via the VM community forum.

They aren't going to send new toys out without agreement to keep them confidential, test them and report back, and too many customers to ask people randomly.
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Dec-15 12:49:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
However to get this device you will at least at first be needing to order an upcoming 300Mb service. This is definitely coming as a business product, I do not know if a home version will be released however if it is the tier will be a standalone available for a supplement on bundle prices as the 100/10 service was.

In traditional VM fashion they just started handing the new hub out within a matter of days after the public testing had started. My mistake for thinking they'd actually test a CPE properly this time not just start putting it on vans whenever smile

It seems to be going to 200Mb customers although I'm sure retentions will give them to anyone if they stomp their feet loudly enough. I've already seen a couple of cases where people complained negotiated their way to one.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:11:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
You apply via the VM community forum.

I've been a VM forum member for ages and didn't know that frown I'll go poke around... Thanks for the info.

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB
  Print Thread

Jump to