User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Nov-15 10:05:14
Print Post

Day 0 - Back @ VM

[link to this post]

So not yet had delivery of my QuickStart pack (Which is fine, only due today) however I have had an engineer messing at front of my house...

They decided to cut of my Business line, I then had to go down the road and track them down to the cab... He then immediately re-crimped the line luckily not upsetting DLM.

When challenged on the matter he confirmed that he knew it was active and that he even checked to see what the number was, he said that it wasn't our number so I was trying to get our number on to it.

Probably the simplest part of the service start and already messed up... should of known better I suppose...

On a side note, why didn't he knock the door... very rude not to do that.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 16-Nov-15 18:05:03
Print Post

Re: Day 0 - Back @ VM

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I am confused, a VM tech messed with your openreach line?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Nov-15 21:14:29
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yep, thats correct!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:01:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
So not yet had delivery of my QuickStart pack (Which is fine, only due today) however I have had an engineer messing at front of my house...

They decided to cut of my Business line, I then had to go down the road and track them down to the cab... He then immediately re-crimped the line luckily not upsetting DLM.

When challenged on the matter he confirmed that he knew it was active and that he even checked to see what the number was, he said that it wasn't our number so I was trying to get our number on to it.

Probably the simplest part of the service start and already messed up... should of known better I suppose...

On a side note, why didn't he knock the door... very rude not to do that.

So after bad mouthing VM for the best part of the last year, you've actually taken services from them? Interesting.

The VM engineer shouldn't even be touching your Openreach equipment. They connect to different CABS, so wouldn't be able to get the VM number on to that service without running a new cable... Would of saved time if he'd run the cable prooperly and left the OR stuff alone.

Edited by Bryer (Tue 17-Nov-15 12:01:27)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:09:32
Print Post

Yep, thats correct!
That would be vandalism. You should probably report it to openreach. I'm pretty sure they don't take kindly to unauthorised personnel tampering with their network.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 17-Nov-15 12:10:28)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:15:47
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bryer:
So after bad mouthing VM for the best part of the last year, you've actually taken services from them? Interesting.

The VM engineer shouldn't even be touching your Openreach equipment. They connect to different CABS, so wouldn't be able to get the VM number on to that service without running a new cable... Would of saved time if he'd run the cable prooperly and left the OR stuff alone.

I've got many accounts with Virgin already, this will be the 3rd one, this line however is dedicated to being a backup in the case of a fault with Openreach network cabling.

As far as the Technician messing with the wrong cabling goes, I've no idea what he thought he was doing, the part that got me was the active number that was on it, not noticing that the dialling code when he used it to call his mobile was for bT and not Virgin... and then further thinking it would be ok just to cut it off.

EDIT: The issues for which I was complaining about Virgin seems to have been significantly improved, I'm able to 50Mbps pretty consistently now, maybe a few occasion the single stream test will show a little dip in speed but thats to be expected.

Edited by mlmclaren (Tue 17-Nov-15 12:18:46)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:17:07
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Yep, thats correct!
That would be vandalism. You should probably report it to openreach. I'm pretty sure they don't take kindly to unauthorised personnel tampering with their network.

I've reported it too Zen, Who've run a few tests, however nothing has gone wrong to be honest so until it does no point in wasting time.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Nov-15 15:02:15
Print Post

Re: Day 5 - Back @ VM

So nearly 5 days in with no issues to report, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the service compared to 12 months ago.

I can't say that when I placed the order I was expecting to get the 50Mb/s consistently around the clock as I already knew there was capacity related issues in the area,

However every test I have run (multithread) since activation has given me the expected 50Mb/s and in most cases single threads have also been pretty similar with only a few occasion where they have been intermittently slower (around 30Mb/s)

Latency seems to be fairly stable too compared to this time last year with very little increase at peak times, (I will post links to compare soon)

I'm also told that I should be getting a free boost to 70Mb/s before the end of December, however the requirement of this is tiny for myself.

One note to add about my activation, it was a self installation package that didn't turn up until late evening (6PM) and it was probably 7PM before it was connected and successfully activated,

I feel that due to the time it was activated I may have been lucky enough for Virgin to provision the connection on less or non busy downstream channels which may well be the reason for my consistent speeds.
  Print Thread

Jump to