User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimb58
(newbie) Mon 21-Dec-15 08:36:38
Print Post

Virgin Media Sucks

[link to this post]

After an entire weekend with a speed of less than 3 Mbs, on a service that is supposed to be 100 Mbs, I'm absolutely fed up with Virgin's network and poor connection speeds. The usual excuse when I call the is it either the device or the wireless coverage, So its a 6 month old Macbook Air and I test the speed connected to the super hun via ethernet.

I think the best speed I have ver achieved is 17, but most of the time its closer to 7. The other problem is that several or more times a week the service just drops completely.

To add insult to injury juts received notice that the price of service will increase in the new year.

Anyone have any idea as to how to resolve this? I can't think of another product or service you could not cancel if it only delivered a small fraction of what you were paying for.

Jim
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Dec-15 09:55:35
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Sucks

[re: jimb58] [link to this post]

You mean Virgin sucks in your area.

I've never got below 157Mb on a speedtest and seen any rise in latency whatever time of the day, been a customer the past 2 years.

I'm based in Belfast thouigh.

Standard User Lithurge
(regular) Mon 21-Dec-15 10:30:08
Print Post

The price increase means you can cancel without penalty if you want to, the letter/email you got should set this out clearly.

What's odd is them blaming the device/wireless if you're connecting via a wired connection and getting poor speeds. On the few occassions I've had issues they've always asked me to use a wired connection to test before doing further trouble shooting/arranging an engineer visit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 10:53:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimb58:
Anyone have any idea as to how to resolve this? I can't think of another product or service you could not cancel if it only delivered a small fraction of what you were paying for.

You can leave, no ones forcing you to stay with Virgin.

I used to have NTL/Virgin in my old house, never had any problems. These days am with BT as no cable here. Speed is not wonderful but its consistent.

BT Infinity 2 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User Sark
(legend) Mon 21-Dec-15 13:08:40
Print Post

So its a 6 month old Macbook Air
Try installing WiFriedX. Mac networking basically doesn't work.

John.
Standard User DrPepper
(regular) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:22:22
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keith969:
In reply to a post by jimb58:

You can leave, no ones forcing you to stay with Virgin.

I used to have NTL/Virgin in my old house, never had any problems. These days am with BT as no cable here. Speed is not wonderful but its consistent.

Have the same issues here in Derby, 200 Mbps product and 4 Mbps in the evenings if you are lucky. No alternative available either, so its put up or become an off grid spoon whittler. Been like this since install in March 15 and each month they just say 'Yes we know there is a problem and it will be reviewed next month and here is £12.50 off your bill'

Not the best way to run an business. Come back Openreach - all is forgiven!

Standard User keith969
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:31:17
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sark:
So its a 6 month old Macbook Air
Try installing WiFriedX. Mac networking basically doesn't work.

Mac networking works fine for me - 2 Macbook Pros running Yosemite, 1 IPad, 1 IPhone. all running off a HH5, no need for some third party software.

BT Infinity 2 43mbs down 9mbs up
Standard User Sark
(legend) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:51:19
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

That's great.

John.
Standard User biffs
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 15:30:40
Print Post

Sorry to hear your problem. My Virginmedia is rock solid all day every day at 156Mbs. I guess it must be to how popular the service is elsewhere.

Bill
Standard User J_Walsh
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Dec-15 16:28:51
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Its because of threads like this and past experience with congestion that i will keep my 80Mb Plusnet line smile

Still rock solid:

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/4933750122.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/136408913.png[/IMG]

Virgin Media 200 Mb
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to