User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PS123
(learned) Sat 02-Jan-16 17:01:58
Print Post

Move to VM 50Mb broadband package from BT

[link to this post]

Hi all

Some of you may recall my woes with moving to BT broadband last year. Well, they confirmed that my contract end date is 1 February.

I am currently looking at a very good deal from Virgin Media and I am willing to give them a try despite mixed feedback.

I contacted BT and asked about early termination charges. £65! The main part of it is the cost of the modem if I cancel early - £55. They mentioned that if I was to switch to another provider it would have to be at least two weeks before the contractual end date.

What would be the best approach for me to ensure that I can move to VM without any problems and as soon as possible without having to pay any early termination charges to BT.

1. Call BT and give my notice to cancel on 1 February. Then call VM after placing the order online and ask that I am connected not earlier than my BT contractual end date?

2. Place the order with VM and rely on them to sort out the issues and come back to me with the earliest date that I can switch?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jan-16 09:59:37
Print Post

Re: Move to VM 50Mb broadband package from BT

[re: PS123] [link to this post]

Nothing stopping you from having Virgin Media installed while the BT connection is still working, only issue arises if you want to port the telephone number across.

VM will not care at all about timing with the BT order, they will just quote and install to their own timetable.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Skilty
(member) Mon 04-Jan-16 10:40:38
Print Post

Why not just let the BT contract run for another four weeks (give them their 30 days notice if required)? VM don't use the BT wiring anyway, unless as Mr S says you want to retain the number.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Jan-16 11:02:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We had our BT number ported to VM and BT just issued a new number to our BT line within a couple of hours.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User PS123
(learned) Mon 25-Jan-16 21:18:18
Print Post

Hi all

Thanks for the responses.

Have decided to stick with non-cable broadband for now until Virgin can increase their upload speeds on the lower tier packages.
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Tue 26-Jan-16 19:16:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by PS123:
Have decided to stick with non-cable broadband for now until Virgin can increase their upload speeds on the lower tier packages.
I've put into italics the part of your sentence which you could well have omitted...
  Print Thread

Jump to