User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Jan-16 18:31:22
Print Post

understanding speed upgrades?

[link to this post]

A friend of mine across town has Virgin Cable with the original SuperHub in modem mode. Not touched the setup for about 3 years, and recently replaced his router with a newer one. Did speed tests and confirmed he is receiving 60 Mbps download and about 2.5 to 3 Mbps upload. He logged into MyVirginMedia last night to be given a panel that says "you should get 150 Mbps from July 2015" but absolutely nowhere to click to do accept or move up to this speed.

Maybe it was because he was using MS Edge browser on Win10, but anyone know what is supposed to happen?

thanks

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jan-16 10:01:11
Print Post

Re: understanding speed upgrades?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Not sure why a browser version is important to the question.

The speed upgrades are one of those you will get them anyway, there are a small group on legacy packages that won't, but for the vast majority they just happen automagically.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jan-16 18:16:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not sure why a browser version is important to the question.

I wondered if he was missing a button because of using Edge that not all websites work with yet (and refusing to try another browser).

The speed upgrades are one of those you will get them anyway, there are a small group on legacy packages that won't, but for the vast majority they just happen automagically.

good to know, thanks.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Jan-16 22:30:08
Print Post

Not this time. For right now at least people are being emailed when the upgrades are 'ready' and can then request the upgrade.

Strange I know.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Jan-16 11:00:26
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I guess a change due to the new bosses, seeing around 1.5% to 2% on the fastest 200 Mbps product in December 2015 based on speed test results.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jan-16 15:32:11
Print Post

I guess a change due to the new bosses, seeing around 1.5% to 2% on the fastest 200 Mbps product in December 2015 based on speed test results.

I can easily imagine that those on the 152Mb tier already would be aware of the upgrade and be requesting it ASAP. In some cases even by going to the retentions team at VM and demanding it as new customers are able to purchase it.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 05-Jan-16 17:41:05
Print Post

I believe the upgrades to speed in certain areas have been significantly delayed as Virgin Media are fixing their back end issues with utilisation across the country instead of pushing the upgrades and then dealing with the complaints. The current complaint to OFCOM per 1000 customers stands at 7 for Virgin, they aim to keep it below 10, so if the speed increase doesn't perform as expected, you'll see that figure rise.

The 06 area has had all speed upgrades pushed to April 2016 to allow them to resolve the over subscription of the service. They are putting in a lot more backhaul routing out of the Basildon "exchange" and that feeds most of East Anglia.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jan-16 18:04:36
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bryer:
The 06 area has had all speed upgrades pushed to April 2016 to allow them to resolve the over subscription of the service. They are putting in a lot more backhaul routing out of the Basildon "exchange" and that feeds most of East Anglia.

Interesting. I'll ask someone about the situation in Basildon. Not impossible but unusual for the headend to be running out of capacity. Usually customer-facing CMTS ports in strife.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Jan-16 18:24:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by Bryer:

Interesting. I'll ask someone about the situation in Basildon. Not impossible but unusual for the headend to be running out of capacity. Usually customer-facing CMTS ports in strife.

Okay doesn't sound like there are any issues with backhaul from Basildon to the rest of the network.

A few problems with connections between some CMTS and the Basildon core routers, though.

Alongside that probably more localised issues with some ports being overcapacity.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 05-Jan-16 18:32:26)

Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Wed 06-Jan-16 09:59:13
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

I'm 06 (Chelmsford) and I got mine a month or so back, did I manage to get in before they pushed it back?

It does seem to be a little more unstable than I what I had at 152. Very rarely get a steady graph line from either the HTTPx1 or HTTPx6 speed tests and HTTPx1 is very often significantly lower than HTTPx6.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to