User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Mon 01-Feb-16 17:47:43
Print Post

BQM graphs on Virgin

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

Can anyone provide me with a idea as to whether this is a good graph for a Virgin line? Looking at how to read the BQM stuff on the page is aimed at adsl connections, and nothing showing a good Virgin Media graph.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Feb-16 18:14:35
Print Post

Re: BQM graphs on Virgin

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

This is mine at present

my present graph

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 100 meg
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Mon 01-Feb-16 18:21:34
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
This is mine at present

my present graph

Thanks. At least my yellow bar is fairly consistent and matches yours. THanks for the swift reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hedgie
(newbie) Mon 01-Feb-16 21:24:41
Print Post

This is what 100+ms Pings and sub 2Mb looks like on a 152Mb connection. Every night since November....

My Broadband Ping
Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Tue 02-Feb-16 09:56:35
Print Post

Yep, looks good, here's mine for comparison: Graph
I actually used to get <10ms in the green part when I was on 152 but since the move to Vivid 200 it never gets that low. I guess that means that the routing between myself and TBB's BQM device has changed.

I wouldn't worry about the blip at 11pm on your graph unless it happens a lot, probably just some work being carried out on the network or maybe you restarted your router/modem.

Edited by Daemon66 (Tue 02-Feb-16 09:58:48)

Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Tue 02-Feb-16 10:01:15
Print Post

[re: hedgie] [link to this post]

If mine was like that I'd be off to another provider. However it should also be noted that you can create this type of graph simply by using your own connection very heavily so it isn't always an indication of a problem at VM.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 02-Feb-16 12:31:44
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

That was a reboot at my end. Needed doing as it's in modem mode and I was testing the effects on the graph.
Standard User Rubiks
(newbie) Tue 02-Feb-16 13:32:12
Print Post

This is mine, I'm on the 200Mb/s package and my graph has always looked like this.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User hedgie
(newbie) Tue 02-Feb-16 16:09:44
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
If mine was like that I'd be off to another provider. However it should also be noted that you can create this type of graph simply by using your own connection very heavily so it isn't always an indication of a problem at VM.

Posted on cable Forum as well and a few others have had almost identical graphs. A bit of Netflix, Call of Duty and the odd Skype call doesn't do that on a 152Mb connection !!

I have posted to see if folks what BT Infinity or Sky are like in my area because I am very close to leaving VM
Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Wed 03-Feb-16 11:47:06
Print Post

[re: hedgie] [link to this post]

I did say 'very heavily', i.e. the total opposite to 'A bit of Netflix, Call of Duty and the odd Skype call'. I've had graphs like that when Fallout 4 was released, or the Witcher 3, or ...

But generally yes, if you aren't doing big downloads then it is probably congestion and you should get the -bleep- out of there.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to