User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Calogero
(newbie) Thu 03-Mar-16 21:20:02
Print Post

Mailserver with static IP - VM Business

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I have just got my Virgin Media Business 50Mb fibre with 5 static IPs installed. All up and running at nice speeds, Superhub 2 in router mode. The intention is to run my own mailserver on a Raspberry Pi 2. The Pi has Postfix/Dovecot set up and running and been assigned one of the 5 static IPs. I'm now about to open/forward ports 25, 465 and 993 on the Hub, but it's not giving me any option to set it for the public static IP -- only for the LAN IP range (192.168.0.x). So how would I go about pointing the Hub to the static IP?

Any help appreciated!

Cal
Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Fri 04-Mar-16 11:02:28
Print Post

Re: Mailserver with static IP - VM Business

[re: Calogero] [link to this post]

I know that this isn't an answer you'll like but why on earth are you setting up your own mail server if you don't understand even the simplest bits of networking?
Standard User mattewan
(regular) Fri 04-Mar-16 11:40:54
Print Post

If you have a static ip range, and one of the ip addresses from that range has been assigned to the raspberry pi, then you don't use NAT, because you aren't mapping publically routable ip addresses to private ones.

If the ip address is assigned to the pi, and you can't contact it, then it is likely a firewall issue, nothing to do with NAT.

I would imagine that once you have assigned a public ip to the pi, then all traffic will be routed to the pi with no interference from the HUB. I can't confirm this for sure as I haven't used the super hub.

Edited by mattewan (Fri 04-Mar-16 11:42:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Mar-16 13:06:27
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

People learn by trying and getting advice/help from others.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Fri 04-Mar-16 15:08:54
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

True, but generally there is a concept of learning some things before attempting others. As in the well known saying about learning to walk before trying to run.
Setting up a mail server should not be anyone's first step in learning how to build and configure systems that will face all the horrors of a public network. It will probably end up as an Open Mail Relay and get all his static IPs blacklisted.
Standard User Calogero
(newbie) Fri 04-Mar-16 20:59:41
Print Post

Hi All,

Thanks for your input, constructive or otherwise. Re NAT, all's clear now. When I first started with the Pi I was on a residential VM line with a sticky IP and let the router do all the address/port configuration. So I need to get used to the fact that now the Pi is doing all the heavy work and I've to check all is healthy with it.

To put Daemon66's mind at some rest, the Pi will have what I hope to be a robust security policy, with smtpd helo restrictions, commercial SSL/TLS certs for connections, proper DNS/PTR/MX records, solid firewalling with iptables and fail2ban policies, and ssh access for maintenance using RSA public key authentication only. If you know of anything else that would be prudent to bear in mind, now's the time to have it!

Cheers.
Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Mar-16 07:30:50
Print Post

Your Pi setup looks great.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Mar-16 16:40:32
Print Post

From the OPs next post it DOES seem like they know what they are doing unless they have read some details and have copied and pasted!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Wed 09-Mar-16 09:47:25
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Yep, Google + Copy + Paste is wonderful.
Standard User wetstring
(newbie) Wed 09-Mar-16 15:34:16
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

Unless you know, I suggest you set up a ping monitor and keep an eye on the quality of your broadband.
I've just come through 6 months of hell with my VM 50M + 5 static. They upgraded my service without my asking, knowing they had a serious problem. Finally a few weeks ago they applied a firmware upgrade, and things are now much better.
I did get 3 free months.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to