User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j0nn13
(committed) Fri 12-Aug-16 09:51:09
Print Post

Supercharge my Area / Cable My Street

[link to this post]

Hi,

We were notifed back in may that our area (Bridge of Weir / PA11) had been chosen as one of the top 10 (came in 3rd) locations that registered interest for the virginmedia network expansion. The email said that "work would start soon" and "they'd keep us up to date" and so far no one has heard a peep about any indicative dates.

Beginning to think I have more chance of BT sorting out my EOL situation before we will see virgin fibre.

I've tried calling virgin to get an update and "they don't know and can't find out anything, sorry"....

Anyone know of any way to try and get an update from them? Bit disappointing that there have been no updates at all from them.
Standard User RossMcG
(member) Fri 07-Oct-16 12:46:39
Print Post

Re: Supercharge my Area / Cable My Street

[re: j0nn13] [link to this post]

I was also on an Exchange only line and had my last hope for Virgin cable, however without any notification my line was moved to a cabinet and I got fibre with a great connection. The only reason i noticed was due to checking the BT Wholesale site every other day. Two days after I ordered fibre the cabinet was full and not accepting orders. My exchange only cluster was over 130 lines. About 3 months after the move BT sent out letters advising that fibre was available in the area. Typical openreach ploy to hit targets is to make it available however no spaces available so no one else could get fibre, but the box was ticked I guess.

That was April this year , slightly after that work began in my town to roll out Virgin Cable, ironically they started digging up my street today.

I cant help but think the ONLY reason my line was moved was due to Virgin rolling out (competition).

So keep checking the wholesale checker as you may strike it lucky like I did,

While Virgin offer the fastest speeds I am still inclined to remain on the Sky Fibre Pro as I have yet to see any dip in speed and I sync at 7999 and 1999. I have heard people having issues with Virgin being bad at times for speed drops etc.

Hope you get some decent internet soon bud !
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Mon 10-Oct-16 09:28:50
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

Yes Virgin can be bad for some at at peak times (it varies drastically by area) but, to put it in perspective, you would have to be extremely unlucky to have your speed drop to anywhere near 7999 and 1999.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User weesteev
(newbie) Mon 10-Oct-16 12:21:50
Print Post

Re: Supercharge my Area / Cable My Street *DELETED*

[re: j0nn13] [link to this post]

This is part of the FTTP rollout, still in planning and negotiation with the local authority. This is a major network build project to reach your village and will probably take 12-18 months. If you have registered on cablemystreet then you will get updates as the project moves forward. This isnt as simple as just building a new cabinet unfortunately.

Edited by weesteev (Mon 10-Oct-16 12:27:37)

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 10-Oct-16 12:35:32
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

Network rearrangements like that are usually planned months in advance and co-funded with the local BDUK authority, who would probably not have gone ahead with it if they had known / were made aware that virgin were going to be available.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:57:50
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Virgin have started in the KY11 postcode I`m in, already digging up the pavements !

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Oct-16 12:12:23
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Virgin have started in the KY11 postcode I`m in, already digging up the pavements !

Yet they won't touch North Scotland (Aberdeen, Inverness etc) with a bargepole frown

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.62_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-16 21:33:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Yet they won't touch North Scotland (Aberdeen, Inverness etc) with a bargepole frown

No core network nearby. Not many options to rent some either.

Doesn't make it impossible, just a lot more expensive.

Virgin already had network near KY11.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Oct-16 13:37:41
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

runs along the side of the train track apparently, or so i was told. Seems to have taken a while to start roll out.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User wezlyons
(learned) Tue 01-Nov-16 18:46:09
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:

Digging up the street is half the battle, actually turning your street on seems to take an age.

Virgin dug up my street this time last year yet I still can't get their service.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to