User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mactheknife2016
(newbie) Sat 17-Sep-16 13:31:44
Print Post

Virgin Media price increase

[link to this post]

I read that VM are about to put up their prices again in November 2016. This has been widely publicised in the media but to now I have received no notification. The thing is I would like to leave them anyway so it would be welcome. Does anybody know if this increase will affect everybody or will some groups be exempt. I negotiated with them in February when they put up the price but did get an increase in June for sky Chanels. Thanks
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Sun 18-Sep-16 10:01:51
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media price increase

[re: Mactheknife2016] [link to this post]

Again!? that will be the 3rd time this year!

If you are affected you will be told and then you will have 30 days to leave penalty free.

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 18-Sep-16 10:02:41)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-16 22:19:32
Print Post

[re: Mactheknife2016] [link to this post]

Why i left them, signed up for 32.99 a month, after 3 months it was over 35 by the time i was at end of contract it was over 40....

and the best part was, it was more expensive to cancel the phone line and keep the broadband on its own.

BT Infinity 2 using HH5A
TBB Speedtest
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Mon 19-Sep-16 08:52:06
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Why i left them, signed up for 32.99 a month, after 3 months it was over 35 by the time i was at end of contract it was over 40....

and the best part was, it was more expensive to cancel the phone line and keep the broadband on its own.

And (well for me anyway) I got like 99% less speed as an added bonus lol
Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Mon 19-Sep-16 12:34:26
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Again!? that will be the 3rd time this year!

If you are affected you will be told and then you will have 30 days to leave penalty free.

Same here. I'm in contract until March 2017 but speeds are starting to slow so want to get out before it gets too bad. (evening speeds down to 30Mb/s from 150)

I rang them but they couldn't tell me anything other than 'just wait for the letter'.

Based on the contract terms you have 30 days from when you get the notification (either by letter or e-mail). Or if you don't get notified then 30 days from the first bill with the increased charges. If you cancel within that time you won't have to pay the additional charges.

I'll be calling them again if I have not been notified by the end of the month.

Ian
Standard User jb66
(committed) Sun 25-Sep-16 15:37:36
Print Post

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

I dont think the people on the phone can tell when you have received the letter, so you can just say you have it
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sun 25-Sep-16 20:58:31
Print Post

[re: jb66] [link to this post]

They can, it's noted on accounts affected.

I used to work in retentions, it's in a red banner on the top!
Standard User rgt247
(regular) Mon 31-Oct-16 20:03:06
Print Post

Have you had your letter yet ? I am the same contract ends in March 17. No price increase yet...

Rich 7203
IDnet 8Mb tongue
Standard User Eeeps
(learned) Mon 31-Oct-16 22:02:46
Print Post

[re: rgt247] [link to this post]

Got a letter mid October with a September letter head - took 2 weeks to arrive.

The letter stated I had until the 30th October to cancel so they did not give me 30 days notice.

Signed up with Sky same day and cancelled VM.

Because I have VM from two more weeks I'll do some real world speed tests between Vivid 150 and Sky fibre max (getting 80/20 with 18dB S/N margin).

So far I've done an off-peak comparison downloading a 1GB file - 2 minutes on Sky; 4.5 minutes on VM. I expect the peak time results to show an even more dramatic difference.

Ian
Standard User watercooled
(learned) Mon 31-Oct-16 22:39:45
Print Post

I could almost accept their justification if they actually dealt with the widespread congestion and horrid single thread speed issues on huge parts of their network.

It might not be a popular view, but Virgin's network did seem to suffer more after they lifted the peak time throttling. I really didn't have a big issue with it, I'd just leave large, low priority downloads until off-peak times - and people who treat it like a leased line and max their line 24/7 end up being less of a problem when they run into the traffic shaping.

I mean there's the odd time it would be irritating when downloading e.g. a new game/update but maybe one day we'll see data hogs like game/video platforms automatically schedule this kind of thing overnight rather than hitting the networks, ending up with the hugely peaky and wasteful usage patterns we have now (carriers more or less have to pay for that peak capacity even though it's only used for a fraction of each day).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to