User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrMudtit
(learned) Fri 21-Oct-16 06:54:55
Print Post

Happy with VM broadband

[link to this post]

Just a post to say that for quite a while I've been happy with my VM broadband. 200Mb package seems to be a solid connection. The only niggle is that it is still quite expensive and not much cheaper without a phone line. Why VM still think that most households should still have a land line is crazy in today's age of mobile phones.

Well done VM.

Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-16 09:34:24
Print Post

Re: Happy with VM broadband

[re: MrMudtit] [link to this post]

I agree that pricing and the redundant landline are issues for VM.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Oct-16 10:05:24
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

Its interesting in that the new FTTP areas with Project Lightning are done minus telephone line.

The inclusive pricing changes at end of month may trigger some changes, or they may not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kebabselector
(member) Fri 21-Oct-16 12:10:11
Print Post

Virgin want customers to buy bundles from them - they aren't interested in Broadband only customers hence why they price it the way they do.

As Andrew mentioned, the changes to pricing coming at the end of the month might make Virgin appear to be worse value that they are. Vodafone pushing Fibre without line rental is a good thing (despite the fact we know it's just included in the price now). I tweeted Virgin about their prices:

My Tweet:
@Virginmedia you are in our area, but currently waiting for a decent broadband only price. £32 is a bit steep when Vodafone offer it for £25

Their reply:
We can't sell steak for the price of mince though! Our bundles and prices can always change and we aim to have one to suit all customers needs so please keep in touch, hopefully we can tempt you over one day smile

Tbh I'm not interested in 200mb (or even 100mb) a basic 50mb service is all I require. If they sold that for £20 per month then they'd sign up plenty of customers.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 21-Oct-16 15:14:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Do you know when BT are changing theirs?
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 21-Oct-16 15:15:11
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

If they think their service is Steak, FTTC is Venison and FTTP is caviar

Mince is ADSL and they are all the nasty stuff you get in Corned Beef.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Oct-16 15:16:25
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

No comms yet, but guess would be on 28th once existing offers end

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 21-Oct-16 16:35:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As in next week?

I thought you meant a price rise and not a price change - sorry
Standard User watercooled
(learned) Sat 12-Nov-16 16:24:20
Print Post

Out of interest, how does your connection perform on a proper speed test like the one from Thinkbroadband? Speedtest.net masks the issues a lot of people have with Virgin i.e. terrible single-thread speeds which affect most real-world applications.

It's a bit of a postcode lottery - it's not a problem for some places but cripples performance in others, and Virgin just bury their head in the sand over the affected areas. Over a year after complaining of getting about 10Mb/s on a '200Mb/s' connection, nothing has been done where I live and so I switched to another ISP.
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Mon 14-Nov-16 09:48:21
Print Post

[re: watercooled] [link to this post]

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the ThinkBroadband speed test is particularly good. Their results do appear to be very conservative and show severe single thread download restrictions for me while other speed tests, steam and other game company downloads have no issues, FileZilla always shows good speed for each individual transfer. In fact my connection appears to be pretty much excellent if measured by anything other than ThinkBroadband.
I do however think I'm one of the lucky few on VM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to