User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User treforh
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-16 20:02:43
Print Post

Virgin Arriving Soon

[link to this post]

Perhaps someone who understands how Virgin is installed could help me please.
Virgin is arriving soon in my street. The cable will be in the road outside my House. At what point do Virgin provide the Inspection Hole that connects the cable that will go go to my House to the main Cable in the street? Is it when the Cable in the Road is installed. Or is it when I Order Virgin and they come along and dig down to the main cable in the street. The reason I ask is that the running of the cable over my property will be a whole lot easier if it joins the cable in the street at a specific point. So if they provide that point where the connection is made in the street when the main cable is laid in the street I will try and be around to persuade them to make sure it is in the correct place outside my House to make life easier later on.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 29-Nov-16 10:02:15
Print Post

Re: Virgin Arriving Soon

[re: treforh] [link to this post]

All I know is that they build the network and when you order they take it from the street to your house and then they put a box on the wall to house it all in. Some people have said that they use hosepipes if you have bushes to make it blend in
Standard User glasspath
(newbie) Tue 29-Nov-16 12:54:23
Print Post

Historiclly when cable companies built an area they put the cable duct along a street with a small metal surface box connected to it near to each premises. Then if/when the premises owner ordered service they would run a small duct (like a thick hosepipe) a few inches underground from the street box to the aforementioned connection box on an outer wall. From there the internal cabling to tv box, internet "supehub" and twisted pair to phone point would run. So yes, if you can persuade the gang installing the street to place the street box in the best place for you that would be a good idea. My only caveat is that this is historic knowledge and I can't guarantee it represents current Virgin practice.

Edited by glasspath (Tue 29-Nov-16 12:55:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-16 14:08:28
Print Post

They will put a drop as close as possible to the property as they can get while remaining on public land.

The will build all this at the same time as they run the cable down the street.
Standard User glasspath
(newbie) Tue 29-Nov-16 16:45:40
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
They will put a drop as close as possible to the property as they can get while remaining on public land.

True and I doubt they would accept any suggestion that would increase the dig length. However in the typical case of a duct along the footpath past the front of a property you might be able to suggest where along the dig the drop box is placed (eg one side of a drive or the other) to give the most convenient cable route into where the service is likely to be needed, if this is not obvious. A look at an existing built area would probably give you an idea of how things are done.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Wed 30-Nov-16 22:08:49
Print Post

[re: glasspath] [link to this post]

Same situation here (are we neighbours!) - virgin currently just entered my street marking up the cable runs & have started installing the ducting at least (no idea on cables).
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-16 11:54:16
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetf1:
Same situation here (are we neighbours!) - virgin currently just entered my street marking up the cable runs & have started installing the ducting at least (no idea on cables).

I hope you got farther than my parents did.

Telewest dug through their little town and said they were going to run the "mouse" down in order to add the optics and then they would start to sell the service.

Heard nothing since 2001.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Dec-16 14:16:23
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

Telewest dug through their little town and said they were going to run the "mouse" down in order to add the optics and then they would start to sell the service.

We might all be in the same town tongue. Virgin ramping up big time now from what i can see, already had a rep at my door to speak about access to my property. Wasn`t in so will need to rearrange.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User binary
(member) Wed 07-Dec-16 16:18:21
Print Post

Virgin arriving soon?

Well, some would say they're not all they're cracked up to be...
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-16 14:44:09
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:

We might all be in the same town tongue. Virgin ramping up big time now from what i can see, already had a rep at my door to speak about access to my property. Wasn`t in so will need to rearrange.

A rep calls here very few months, says he keeps being sent. I ask him every time if the network is fixed and each time he tells me no, at least he's honest..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to